|November 19, 2019 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #45
FY19/20 Non-Profit Agency Funding Agreements
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Ava Ehde, Department Director
Neighborhood Services Department, ext 3974
Susan Ford, Human Services Program Manager
Neighborhood Services Department, ext. 3486
Authorization for the Chairman to execute the funding agreements with the Early Learning Coalition of Manatee County, Inc., for the Early Care and Education program ($2,510,143); Manatee Children's Services Child Advocacy Center program ($775,000); and Boys and Girls Club, Great Futures Start Here program ($610,000) for the time period October 1, 2019, through September 30, 2020.
Efficiency in Service
- On August 6, 2019, Neighborhood Services Department staff presented to the Commission recommendations for the annual funding for Non-Profit agencies from both the General Fund and the Children's Services Dedicated Millage to support elements of programs that provide services to citizens in need of health and welfare assistance in a variety of eligibility areas.
- During the annual County budget process, which concluded with the budget approval at a public hearing on September 17, 2019, the Board of County Commissioners approved the annual awards to the Non-Profit agencies.
- The Early Learning Coalition of Manatee County, Inc. (ELC) is the countywide state and local funded childcare program. Their program provides childcare subsidies to families in the County serving low-income children from birth to age 13 based on a sliding fee scale of income for the family with a goal of all children being school ready at the appropriate age. Childcare agencies within this program are held to a strict standard based on the number of children, developmental appropriate curriculum, and regular site visits by ELC, Florida Department of Children and Families, and the county where appropriate.
- There are not sufficient funds allocated from the state budget to provide subsidies to all of the children in need and Manatee County Children's Services Millage helps with additional funds so that the childcare subsidy waiting list can be reduced and children can be placed in quality care while parents work or go to school on the road to self-sufficiency.
- The Manatee Children's Services Child Advocacy Center program consists of comprehensive child abuse and neglect prevention, intervention and treatment services.
- The Boys and Girls Club Great Futures Start Here program operates in the after school hours and summertime, and provides a variety of services to youth in elementary and middle schools.
- Staff from the Neighborhood Services Department evaluates and monitors funded programs monthly through a series of desk audits and site visits to ensure the programs are meeting contractual obligations.
- The format of all Non-Profit funding agreements are "Results First" based using the County Attorney's Office approved boilerplate language and special conditions in the individualized attachments to obtain the highest and most beneficial results for the investment by the County.
County Attorney Review
Formal Written Review (Opinion memo must be attached)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Email a copy of each executed agreement to the attention of Susan Ford @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Children's Services Dedicated Millage 104.0015002
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
$3,895,143 based on annual funding awards
Attachment: CAO Response - RLS-2018-0384 FY 18_19 and 19_20 Non-Profit Agency Funding Agreement.pdf
Attachment: BCC approved 8-6-19 agenda item #19 - Childrens Investment Recommendations.pdf
Attachment: Early Learning Coalition agreement.pdf
Attachment: Manatee Childrens Services - Child Advocacy Center agreement.pdf
Attachment: Boys & Girls Club - Great Futures FY19-20 agreement.pdf