|November 19, 2019 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #68
Speed Table Installations, 117th Street East between S.R. 64 and Rosemary Circle
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Vishal S. Kakkad, P.E., PTOE, Traffic Engineering Division Manager, Ext. 7812
Authorize Public Works staff to install two speed tables on 117th Street East between S.R. 64 and Rosemary Circle.
Florida State Statutes: Chapter 316.006 - Jurisdiction to Control Traffic; Chapter 316.008 - Powers of Local Authorities
- In accordance with the County's Traffic Calming Procedures, a local residents group (LRG) requested the installation of speed tables on 117th Street East between S.R. 64 and Rosemary Circle.
- Staff subsequently studied the area and found that the criteria to install the speed tables are met and it can aid in discouraging speeding and cut-through traffic.
- The LRG surveyed the residents and ninety-two percent of the property owners support the installation of the speed tables, as shown on the attached exhibit. This meets and exceeds the criteria of at least sixty-seven percent support pursuant to the County's Traffic Calming Procedures.
- Costs reported include installation of two temporary speed tables (trial period) at $3,000, and two permanent speed tables at $13,604, for a total cost of $16,604. Since there is no dedicated revenue in the current fiscal year's budget to install the speed tables, staff will re-allocate the operating budget to accommodate this request. The funds will be allocated from Traffic Operations (101-0020707) and Road Maintenance (101-0011200).
- Consistent with the County's Traffic Calming Procedures: (1) Upon Board approval, staff will install two temporary speed tables at the locations identified; (2) The temporary tables will remain a minimum of 90 days to allow for further citizen reaction to the devices; (3) After the 90-day trial period, staff will make the final determination whether to proceed with the permanent tables depending on community input; (4) If the community is in support, the permanent tables will be installed within six to eight weeks following the conclusion of the trial period.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please send a stamped copy of the agenda memorandum to Jeff Bishop (firstname.lastname@example.org), Public Works Department, Traffic Engineering Division, Ext. 7815.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$16,604, 1010020707-Traffic Operations for Signs and Pavement Markings and 1010011200-Road Maintenance for road work and construction
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
$267/yr.-Maintenance & Repairs
Attachment: Speed Table Survey Letters-Consent Signatures.pdf
Attachment: 117 St E-Location Map with Survey Results.pdf