|November 19, 2019 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #65
Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 Program Funding for Operating Assistance
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Adoption of Resolution R-19152 authorizing the Public Works Director, or designee, to execute a Public Transportation Grant Agreement (PTGA) for operating assistance with the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), and authorization for the Public Works Director, or designee, to execute the Notice of FTA Section 5310 Grant Awards (2).
This grant agreement provides $177,784 in Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 Program funding, Financial Project Number 438959-1-84-05, Contract Number G1F99 for service delivery operating expenses.
Chapter 341, Florida Statutes, Rule 41-2, Florida Administrative Code, Plan 6.0 Mass Transit Element. Resolution R-18-191.
- The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 Formula Grant Program provides funding to support transportation services to meet the special needs of the elderly and persons with disabilities. The FTA Section 5310 Program is known formally as the "Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities" program.
- The FTA Section 5310 grants are used by Manatee County Government for capital and/or operating expenditures to support Paratransit (i.e. Handy Bus) services. The FDOT serves as the "Designated Recipient" for the FTA Section 5310 Program and eligible applicants apply each year to the FDOT for FTA Section 5310 program funding.
- The Manatee County Board of County Commissioners approved the submittal of FTA Section 5310 capital and operating grant applications at their December 18, 2018, meeting. Capital and Operating grant awards were subsequently issued to Manatee County Government, and staff is now requesting authorization to execute the corresponding operating assistance grant agreement.
- The Capital Notice of FTA Section 5310 Grant Award Fl-16-0044/SFY 2019/20, Financial Management Number 435210-1-93-36 in the amount of $663,755 is for the purchase of three (3) Paratransit/Handy Bus vehicles to replace existing vehicles which have reached the end of their useful life, and funding for Preventative Maintenance (PM) expenses. The PM eligible expenses include routine, scheduled vehicle maintenance functions that keep the fleet in optimal condition for service delivery operations. The total capital cost is $663,755 which reflects a cost sharing comprised of $531,004 in FTA funding (80%), FDOT $66,375 (10%), and Manatee County Government $66,376 (10%).
- The Section 5310 operating Public Transportation Grant Agreement (PTGA), Financial Management Number 438959-1-84-05, Contract Number G1F99 in the amount of $177,784 will support Paratransit/Handy Bus service provision. The total dollar value reflects a cost sharing with the FTA of $177,784 (50%) local share required to meet grant criteria. The local funding budgeted for Paratransit (i.e. Handy Bus) operations is used for the Manatee County Government share of costs. Typically, the local share is offset by in-kind eligible expenditures (i.e. Paratransit Operator salaries).
- Resolution R-19-152 authorizes the Public Works Director, or designee, to execute the PTGA with FDOT, thereby providing Section 5310 Program funding for operating expenses. After the PTGA is fully executed, the funding agreement remains in effect through December 31, 2021.
- The FTA Section 5310 Program capital funding is administered by FDOT, therefore execution of Grant Agreements are unnecessary. The attached Notifications of Grant Award for Section 5310 capital funding are processed in collaboration between Manatee County Government staff and FDOT staff.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (Utilizes exact document or procedure approved within the last 18 months)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Provide four (4) certified copies of Resolution R-19-152 and two (2) executed copies of the agreement to Edrick Sweeting, Grants Administrator, Edrick.Sweeting@mymanatee.org, x 7354. A copy of the fully executed Grant Agreement will be provided to Board Records.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
435-0012100 Transit Operating
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Manatee County Government will incur $66,376 for capital matching funds and $177,784 in operating assistance in-kind Match (i.e., salaries).
Attachment: FFY19 Section 5310 Grant Awards Resolution.pdf
Attachment: 438959-1-84-05 for Agency Execution.pdf
Attachment: FL-16-0044-SFY 2019-20 NOGA 5310 CP MCAT BOCC.pdf
Attachment: FL-16-0044-SFY 2019-20 NOGA 5310 PM MCAT BOCC.pdf