|November 15, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #33
Nuisance Abatement Board
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Jeffrey Bowman, Division Chief, Ext. 6854
Appointment of one (1) person (Braden Chandler) to the Nuisance Abatement Board for a two (2) year term.
County Ordinance 14-41, Article 11, Abatement of Criminal Nuisances 2-9-16 through 2-9-23.
- On August 10, 2010, the Board of County Commissioners adopted Ordinances 10-57 which created the Nuisance Abatement Board to hear complaints regarding criminal nuisances on places or premises located in the unincorporated area of Manatee County.
- This Board is to be comprised of five (5) Manatee County residents interested in providing administrative oversight with authority to impose administrative fines and other non-criminal penalties.
- Initial appointments to the Nuisance Abatement Board allowed for two (2) members to be appointed for a term of one year each and three (3) members to be appointed for a term of two (2) years each. Thereafter, any appointment will be for two (2) years each.
- On January 26, 2016, two members were appointed to the Nuisance Abatement Board: Betty G. Gambrell and Lee S. Martin III.
- On October 11, 2016, three members were appointed: Walter Sowa III, William Strollo, Jr., and George Okada. The fourth applicant at that time was Braden Chandler.
- On or about October 25, 2016, Code Enforcement was notified that board member Betty G. Gambrell is deceased.
- Staff contacted Braden Chandler immediately to determine if he would still be interested in serving on the board. He acknowledged in the affirmative.
- Staff is recommending that the Board of County Commissioners appoint Braden Chandler from the October 11, 2016, applicants to fill the seat of Betty G. Gambrell.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Braden Chandler.pdf
Attachment: Nuisance Abatement Ordinance.pdf