|November 15, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #34
Sarasota/Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Local Coordinating Board (LCB) Appointments
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Contacts: Jim Van Pelt, MPO - 941-359-5772 and William Steele, Transit Division Manager - 941-747-8621 ext. 7440
Recommend the appointment of a Manatee County Board of County Commission (BCC) member to serve as the Chairperson for the Sarasota/Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Local Coordinating Board (LCB).
Florida Statutes Chapter 427; Rule 41-2 Florida Administrative Code
- The Florida Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged (FCTD) was created by Florida Statute Chapter 427 in 1989.
- The Transportation Disadvantaged Trust Fund is administered by the FCTD, pursuant to Section 427.0159, Florida Statutes. The purpose of the Transportation Disadvantaged (TD) Trust Fund is to provide a dedicated, stable funding source for the operational and planning expenses of the Commission to carry out its legislative responsibilities. Funding from the Commission is provided to local agencies to provide transportation services for TD Clients.
- Since 1990, Manatee County Government has served as the Community Transportation Coordinator (CTC) for TD services in Manatee County. Therefore, Manatee County is eligible and receives FCTD operational funding each fiscal year.
- Just recently, Manatee County Government entered into a new Five-Year Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the FCTD; therefore, Manatee County Government will continue to serve as the CTC, providing services to eligible TD clients in the community.
- The TD Local Coordinating Board (LCB) is a mixed group consisting of social service agencies that fund TD-related services, TD system users, and advocates.
- The LCB provides oversight and develops specific recommendations that impact service delivery for the TD program, administered by Manatee County Government.
- The LCB reviews and provides recommendations with respect to the TD Service Plan, which is updated annually; and for Service Plan “major updates,” which are required every five years.
- Each member of the LCB is appointed by the Sarasota/Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO); and the MPO staffs the LCB meetings and assists with TD Service Plan updates.
- Rule 41-2 Florida Administrative Code requires that the Chairperson for each LCB must be an elected official. The LCB meets quarterly, and these meetings generally last from one to two hours.
- The Sarasota/Manatee MPO staff is soliciting an elected official to serve as the LCB Chairperson; and most recently Commissioner Chappie served in this role. Typically, the same elected official serves as the LCB Chairperson for several years.
- The Sarasota/Manatee MPO will appoint the LCB Chairperson at their December 12, 2016 meeting. Therefore, the BoCC recommendation for the LCB Chairperson is requested now, so that the MPO Board can proceed to fill the vacated LCB Chairperson slot in December. The new LCB Chairperson would then chair the January 2017 and subsequent LCB meetings.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please email the name of an appointment for LCB Chairperson to Jim Van Pelt, MPO (email@example.com) and Marianne Lopata (Marianne.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Letter Requesting Manatee LCB Chair.pdf
Attachment: MTD Bylaws 2015.pdf