|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - November 13, 2014|
Agenda Item #5
PDMU-14-10(Z)(G)-Peerage Land Company, LLC/Hundred Acre Wood Subdivision-Quasi-Judicial-Stephanie Moreland
Contact and/or Presenter Information
941-748-4501 ext. 3880
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to recommend ADOPTION of Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDMU-14-10(Z)(G); APPROVAL of a General Development Plan with Stipulations A.1-A.3, B.1-B.4, C.1-C.9; GRANTING Special Approval for a project: 1) exceeding 4.5 dwelling units per acre in the RES-6 Future Land Use Category; 2) exceeding a gross density of two dwelling units in the RES-3 FLUC; and 3) adjacent to a perennial stream(s); ADOPTION of the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANTING Specific Approval for alternative(s) to LDC Section(s) 714.8 (replacement tree option), 714.8.7 (reduce replacement tree sizes), and 715.3.4 (one canopy tree per lot), as recommended by staff.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• Ms. Rachel Layton, Agent requests a rezone of approximately 84.56 acres from A-1 (Suburban Agriculture – one dwelling unit per acre), LM (Light Manufacturing) and PDR (Planned Development Residential) zoning districts to the PDMU (Planned Development Mixed Use) zoning district; and approval of a General Development Plan (GDP) for 511 lots on a combined total acreage of ±99.39 (±14.83 acres already zoned PDMU) acres to allow construction of single-family attached residences with an option for single-family detached residences. Should the option become viable, lots for single-family detached residences will have a typical minimum lot size of 50’x110’. This type of flexibility is authorized as an administrative change by the Land Development Code.
• The site has approximately 827 feet of frontage on the east side of 27th Street East. The site is approximately 0.34± miles south of 26th Avenue East. Sugar House Creek traverses the easternmost part of the site, extending from north to south. Special Approval is required for a project adjacent to a perennial stream.
• A recorded platted right-of-way (30th Avenue East) and dedicated right-of-way easement run vertically through the site. These are the subject of a pending vacation request.
• The site is comprised of eleven parcels, some of which were the subject of previous plan and zoning amendments. Previous approvals are as follows:
On June 21, 2005, the Board of County Commissioners (B.O.C.C.) approved a rezone of 26.9± acres from LM to PDR [PDR-03-51(Z)(P) – Fox Crossing] and a Preliminary Site Plan for 96 lots for single-family detached residences. The site was never developed and the site plan has since expired.
On May 4, 2006, the B.O.C.C. approved a rezone [PDMU-05-39(Z)(P) – Bobcat Run] of 14.83± acres from LM and A-1 zoning districts to PDMU and a Preliminary Site Plan for 40 lots for single-family detached residences. The site was never developed and the site plan has since expired.
In 2014, a Plan Amendment (PA-13-09) was approved to change the Future Land Use Category (FLUC) for parts of the site from IL and RES-1 to RES-3 and RES-6. If unchallenged, the Plan Amendment will be effective on 9/21/2014.
• Recently, the applicant acquired and added a 3.99± acre (northernmost part of site) parcel in the IL FLUC to the current zoning request. This property was not a part of the Plan Amendment.
• The subject site currently has three FLUCs; IL (Industrial Light), RES-3, and RES-6.
The IL FLUC prohibits new residential development other than individual single-family units on lots of record. Residential uses are not listed in the range of potential uses. The proposed General Development Plan shows no residential units in the IL part of the site. Only a roadway, perimeter buffer, open space and an emergency access are proposed.
• Special approval is required for a gross density exceeding 4.5 dwelling units in the RES-6 FLUC and a gross density exceeding two dwelling units per acre in RES-3 FLUC. Planned development is the process necessary to achieve Special Approval.
• Based on the formula for gross density compliance in the Comprehensive Plan Land Use Operative Provision, the project has established gross density compliance with the Future Land Use Map
• The LDC requires two means of access for a project with more than 100 units. The General Development Plan shows a boulevard road (considered second means of access) connecting 27th Street East, and an entrance connecting 29th Avenue East (industrial park) to the north, Internal streets are proposed to be public. The applicant also requests an option for private streets.
• 0.88± acres west of the Sugarhouse Creek are proposed for recreational acreage. Recreation amenities may include trails and an option for a gazebo or zip line.
• The site has 2.34± acres of wetlands and 3.32± acres of wetland buffers. There are no impacts to the wetland and wetland buffers.
• The site is within one mile of Johnson Middle School to the north and Manatee Charter School to the south. The General Development Plan indicates five-foot wide sidewalks on both sides of the internal roadways and along the east side of 27th Street East adjacent to the property’s frontage.
• The applicant hosted a neighborhood meeting on July 1, 2014. Concerns raised at the meeting included traffic, drainage, and buffering along the southern boundary of the property. As a result, the design indicates a six foot tall opaque fence along the southern boundary.
• Staff supports the specific approval requests for smaller replacement tree sizes and one canopy per lot.
• Staff recommends approval with the recommended stipulations.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email by 10-10-14
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Maps-Future Land Use-Zoning-Aerial-Hundred Acre Wood-PDMU-14-10(Z)(G)-11-13-14 PC.pdf
Attachment: Staff Report-Peerage Land Company-Hundred Acre Wood-PDMU-14-10(Z)(G)-11-13-14 PC.pdf
Attachment: Zoning Disclosure Affidavit-Hundred Acre Wood Subdivision-PDMU-14-10(Z)(G).pdf
Attachment: Specific and Special Approval request letter-Hundred Acre Wood-PDMU-14-10(Z)(G) 11-13-14 PC.pdf
Attachment: School Report- Hundred Acre Wood-PDMU-14-10(Z)(G)-11-13-14 PC.pdf
Attachment: Traffic Impact Statement-Hundred Acre Wood Subdivision-PDMU-14-10(Z)(G).pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Hundred Acre Wood - PDMU-14-10(Z)(G) - Bradenton Herald - 11-13-14 PC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Hundred Acre Wood - PDMU-14-10(Z)(G) - Sarasota Herald Tribune - 11-13-14 PC.pdf
Attachment: GDP-Hundred Acre Wood-PDMU-14-10(Z)(G)-11-13-14 PC.pdf