|November 12, 2015 - Planning Commission Meeting|
Agenda Item #5
PDC-15-09(Z)(P) – Schroeder Manatee Ranch, Inc / Shopping Center At SR 70 And Lorraine Road (DTS #20150218 – MEPS #00000449) - Quasi-Judicial - Rossina Leider
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Rossina Leider, Planner
Danielle Walker, Planning Tech II
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to recommend ADOPTION of Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDC-15-09(Z)(P); APPROVAL of the Preliminary Site Plan with Stipulations A.1-A.5, B.1, C.1-C.3, and D.1-D2; GRANTING Special Approval for a project : 1) exceeding 50,000 square feet of non-residential uses in the R/O/R Future Land Use Category, 2) within the Watershed Protection Evers Overlay District, and 3) within the Special Treatment Overlay District; ADOPTION of the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANTING Specific Approval of alternatives to Sections 701.3.A.7 (Minimum Required Landscaping – Vehicular Use Area), and 806.5.C (Lighting Fixture Height) of the Land Development Code, as recommended by staff.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• Darenda Marvin, AICP (Grimes, Goebel, Hawkins, Gladfelter & Galvano, PL), agent for Schroeder Manatee Ranch, Inc., is requesting to:
- Rezone a 16.94± acre vacant site from A/WP-E/ST (General Agriculture/Watershed Protection/Special Treatment Overlay Districts) to the PDC/WP-E/ST (Planned Development Commercial/Watershed Protection/Special Treatment Overlay Districts) zoning district, and
- Approve a Preliminary Site Plan for an 82,600 square foot shopping center.
• The site is located on the northeast corner of the intersection of SR 70 and Lorraine Road. The entire site is within the R/O/R (Retail/Office/Residential) FLUC, which lists in the range of potential uses retail, wholesale or office commercial uses which function in the market place as neighborhood, community, or region serving with a maximum floor area ratio (FAR) of 0.35 (0.25 without Special Approval).
• The Preliminary Site Plan shows a 52,600 sq. ft. main store (northcentral portion of the site) and four outparcels (three along Lorraine Road and one along SR 70) with a total of 30,000 sq. ft. of gross floor area. The proposed FAR is 0.12, and the maximum height is 35’.
• The range of proposed uses includes all uses listed in Table 4-7 of the LDC as permitted, permitted with conditions, or require an Administrative or Special Permit in the PDC zoning district, with the exceptions of the following: agricultural research facilities, stables or equestrian centers (public), animal services (wild and exotic), breeding facility (non-wild and exotic), cemetery (human and pet), earthmoving (minor), environmental land preserves (public and private), game preserve, heliport, helistop, recreational vehicles parks and subdivisions, and solid waste management facilities.
• Adequate buffers, screening, and landscaping are proposed (10’ wide roadway buffer along SR 70 and Lorraine Road, 8’ wide vehicular use area along the north boundary and southern portion of the east boundary, landscaping for vehicular use areas, and foundation landscaping).
• Sufficient parking spaces, loading and dumpster’s areas have been provided. Parking areas, access points, internal drives, and pedestrian ways are designed to provide for safe internal circulation on the site.
• 30 % of open space (4.88 acres) is proposed, meeting the minimum requirement in the PDC Zoning District.
• There are not wetlands, native uplands habitat or/and listed endangered species within the boundary of the project. There are no know historic or archaeological resources on the site.
• The site lies in Zone X and A, and portions of the site are located within the 100-year floodplain pursuant to the Braden River Watershed Study.
• Special Approval is required to be granted by the Board of County Commissioners, through the planned development process, for:
- A non-residential project exceeding 50,000 sq. ft. in the R/O/R FLUC, and
- A project that lies within the Evers Reservoir Watershed Protection and Special Treatment Overlay Districts (Braden River Watershed).
• The purpose of the Special Approval request is satisfied since the project’s design will comply with applicable standards and regulations related to the location and development of a large commercial project, and to the protection and preservation of the existing potable water supplies within public surface water reservoirs and their watersheds.
• The applicant requests Specific Approval to:
- Waive planting requirements for vehicular use areas along east property line (southern portion) (LDC Section 701.3.A.7), and
- Exceed maximum allowed light fixture height (LDC Section 806.5.C).
• Staff supports all requested Specific Approvals. Staff recommends approval of this request, with stipulations.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email on 10/15/2015.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - SR 70 and Lorraine Road Shopping Center.pdf
Attachment: Maps- Zoning, FLU, and Aerials - SR 70 and Lorraine Road Shopping Center.pdf
Attachment: Zoning Disclosure Affidavit - SR 70 and Lorraine Road Shopping Center.pdf
Attachment: Specific Approval Request - SR 70 and Lorraine Road Shopping Center.pdf
Attachment: Traffic Analysis with Approval - Shopping Center at SR 70 and Lorraine Road - PDC-15-09(Z)(P) - 11-12-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: PSP - SR 70 and Lorraine Road Shopping Center 10-8-15.pdf
Attachment: Affidavit of Publishing - SR 70 and Lorraine Road Shopping Center - PDC-15-09(Z)(P) - Sarasota Herald Tribune - 11-12-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Shopping Center at SR70 and Lorraine Road - PDC-15-09(Z)(P) - Bradenton Herald - 11-12-15 PC.pdf