|May 8, 2018 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #29
Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant, Section 5339a Bus & Bus Facilities Grant Program, and Section 5339b Bus and Bus Facilities Infrastructure Investment Grant Program. Federal Fiscal Year 2018 Appropriations
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William P. Steele, Transit Division Manager, William.Steele@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x7440
Chad Butzow, P.E., Interim Director of Public Works, Chad.Butzow@mymanatee.org, (941) 708-7450 x7432
Adopt Resolution R-18-071 authorizing the submittal of grant applications and acceptance of Federal Transit Administration (FTA) grant funding. The total application requests are for approximately $4,729,405 in FTA Section 5307 and $473,910 in FTA Section 5339(a) formula funding; and $1,913,000 in FTA Section 5339(b) discretionary funding, to support Transit related capital and operating expenses. These applications are based upon Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2018 final appropriations.
Chapter 341, Florida Statutes; Rule 41-2, Florida Administrative Code; Comprehensive Plan 6.0 Mass Transit Element; Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21); Chapter 53 of Title 49, United States Code; The Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act; Resolution R-17-101.
- The FTA public transportation assistance program authorization is provided by Chapter 53 of Title 49, United States Code. The Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act (Pub l.114-94, December 4, 2015) made certain changes to Chapter 53 and provided contract authority and general fund authorization for FTA's public transportation assistance programs for five years (FFY 2016 through 2020). This is commonly referred to as the "Reauthorization" for federal transportation programs.
- The Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2018 Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Apportionment for the Sarasota/Bradenton, FL Urbanized Area (UZA) is $9,458,810 (estimated based on the apportionment in Table 3, Federal Register). Sarasota County and Manatee County split the UZA apportionment funding equally according to the fully executed Inter-local Agreement (ILA). Based upon the approved funding split, Manatee County will receive an estimated $4,729,405 or 50% of the apportioned FTA Section 5307 funds.
- The Manatee County application for FTA Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant Funds will include: Funding for the purchase of three (3) replacement 35' buses (to include one trolley bus), preventive maintenance, planning, computer hardware and software, purchase/lease of miscellaneous support equipment, purchase/installation of passenger amenities, office equipment, computers, and support equipment. Also included are the purchase and installation of security equipment necessary for the security of the Transit Division's fleet and facilities, employee education/training, operating assistance funds, contingency, and project administration.
- This grant funding is listed in the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), Item No. 4101481. To meet grant requirements, a 20% local share is required for capital projects and 50% local share is required for operating assistance projects. Currently, Transit Division Staff is coordinating with FDOT on Transportation Development Credits in the amount of $1,057,351* to be used for the 20% local match for the capital portion of this grant application *(1.25 x $4,229,405 = $5,286,756 - $4,229,405 = $1,057,351). The local match of $500,000 for operating assistance funds will be provided using the FY 2018/19 Transit Division Operating Budget because the local contribution to transit is greater than the $500,000 match requirement.
- The FFY 18 Section 5339(a) Bus and Bus Facilities Formula Apportionment for the Sarasota/Bradenton UZA is $947,820 (estimated based upon Table 12, Federal Register). Sarasota County and Manatee County split the urbanized area apportionment funding equally according to the fully executed ILA. Based upon the approved split, Manatee County will receive $473,910 of the apportioned FTA Section 5339a funds.
- The Manatee County application for the FTA Section 5339a Bus & Bus Facilities Formula Grant will include funding for the purchase/installation of passenger amenities (i.e. passenger shelters, boarding pads, passenger benches, and trash receptacles), facility upkeep, and rehabilitation and repair of capital assets to maximize useful life.
- The FTA Section 5339a grant funding is listed in the FDOT STIP, item No. 4345172. To meet grant requirements, a 20% local share is required for capital projects. Currently, Transit Division Staff is coordinating with FDOT on Transportation Development Credits in the amount of $118,478* to be used for the 20% local match for the capital portion of this grant application *(1.25 x $473,910 = $592,388 - $473,910 = $118,478).
- The FTA FFY 2017 Section 5339(b) Bus and Bus Facilities Infrastructure Investment Grant Program is a discretionary, competitive FTA grant program which provides funding to finance capital projects to replace, rehabilitate, purchase, or lease buses and related equipment and to rehabilitate, purchase, construct, or lease bus-related facilities. In Fiscal Year 2017, FTA set aside approximately $226.5 million in discretionary funds for the Bus & Bus Facilities Infrastructure Investment Program.
- On April 9, 2018, the FTA notified Manatee County Government that the County was awarded $1.9 million in discretionary funding for the rehabilitation of up to 29 Manatee County Area Transit (MCAT) buses and trolleys to extend their useful life.
- To meet the grant criteria, a 20% local share is required for capital projects. Prior to the submittal of the grant application, Transit Division staff coordinated with FDOT District I with respect to the availability of Transportation Development Credits (TDCs) for use as local match. The FDOT District I Transit Office confirms that TDCs are available for use as local match for the FTA Section 5339(b) discretionary grant. Therefore, no local/county funding match is required and, in effect, the rehabilitation of the buses and trolleys is 100% funded by the FTA.
- The award of this grant to Manatee County ensures compliance with FTA's requirements for "State of Good Repair" for public transit infrastructure/equipment, and ensures safe, reliable, and efficient service delivery operations; and frees-up FTA Section 5307 formula funding for much-need bus replacement, consistent with the Transit Division's Asset Management Program.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (Utilizes exact document or procedure approved within the last 18 months)
Explanation of Other
Resolution R-17-051, authorizing the signing and submission of annual transit grant applications and supporting documents, was adopted on May 23, 2017.
Instructions to Board Records
Please provide two (2) copies of the original certified Resolution R-18-071 and copy of the minutes to Edrick Sweeting, Grants Administrator, Public Works Department, Transit Division, (941) 747-8621 x7354, Edrick.Sweeting@mymanatee.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
435-0012000 Transit Operating: $500,000; FY18 Section 5307 funds $4,729,405l FY18 Section 5339(a) Funds $473,910 and FY17 Section 5339(b) Funds $1,913,000.
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
The funds are budgeted for FY2018-2019.
Attachment: FY-18-(Partial Yr)-Apportionment-Table-3-Section 5307-Urbanized-Area-Formula.pdf
Attachment: FY-18-(Partial Yr)-Apportionment-Table-12-Section-5339-bus-and-bus-facilities-apportionments.pdf
Attachment: Resolution R-18-071 - FTA 5307 & 5339.pdf