|May 8, 2018 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #39
School Resource Officers
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Ed Hunzeker, County Administrator
Motion for the Chairman of the Manatee Board of County Commissioners to send a letter to the Chairman of the Manatee County School Board advising them that Manatee County Government declines to participate in funding for the school security program as it would represent an unfunded mandate from the State to the Manatee County School District.
- At the Manatee County Commission meeting on April 24. 2018, the Board considered their participation in the funding of School Resource Officers (SROs). The Board requested that this item come back to the Board at this meeting on May 8, 2018, and that the School Board representatives provide additional information regarding the SRO program and the School Board District's financial capability to fund the program.
- Historically, the County has supported the School District's security program by sharing in the cost. In the recently completed legislative session, additional requirements were placed on the District to significantly expand security. This legislative mandate came with limited additional funding and it appears the additional funding only covers a portion of the FY19 cost. The question before the Board of County Commissioners is: Does the County want to participate in funding this unfunded mandate imposed by the Legislature on the School District?
- Attached is a report reflecting the cost of this expanded program for your next fiscal year (FY 19).
- Please recall, in FY 20 we anticipate a reduction in the County’s Property Tax revenue in excess of $9 million if the additional Homestead Exemption is approved by voters this November. Also, this additional exemption does not apply to the School District revenue.
- Because of the high cost of this significant expansion of the SRO program, if the Board were to agree to pay for a portion of the requested SROs, the Board of County Commissioners would need to approve an increase to the property tax rate in the upcoming budget process.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: SRO Cost Summary.pdf