|May 6, 2014 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #39
Funding Agreement with Chamber Foundation for Healthcare System Analysis & Plan Development
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Karen Windon, Deputy County Administrator, X3799
Brenda Rogers, Director, Community Services Department, X3489
Authorization for the Chairman to execute an agreement between Manatee County Government and the Manatee Chamber Foundation, providing for County funding of a Healthcare System Analysis and Plan Development to be conducted by the USF College of Public Health, in conjunction with the Foundation.
- Following widespread concern voiced by citizens, hospitals, physicians, health professionals, and others within the community, the Health Care Alliance and the Manatee Chamber of Commerce Health Care Committee have had discussions pertaining to the need for a professional assessment of the health care system in this county.
- A strong health care system is a major indicator considered by businesses when considering locations for their enterprises. A healthy community results in a healthy economy.
- Given the considerable resources and expertise available locally, the County and the Chamber Foundation looked to the University of South Florida, College of Public Health (USF) for assistance in this matter.
- Several meetings between the Chamber Foundation, County Administration, and USF have now taken place in an effort to construct a framework upon which an analysis and plan development of this nature should be conducted.
- On February 18, 2014, USF presented a preliminary proposal to the Chamber Foundation and County Administration outlining the project overview, goals and objectives, and other facets of this engagement. Given that the Chamber Foundation provided leadership and guidance to the 2008 "State of Health Care System in Manatee County: Findings and Analysis", it is a natural progression for the Chamber Foundation to lead the community in this endeavor as well.
- The Chamber Foundation is a neutral party which will ensure the credibility of the study and analysis, and result in an unbiased plan.
- The Agreement presented to the Board provides that the County will make six (6) payments to the Manatee Chamber Foundation. This Agreement further provides for deliverable due dates and a final report by April 30, 2015.
- The Agreement authorizes the County Administrator to terminate the contract for any reason or no reason after a review of phased deliverables.
- Funding for the System Analysis and Plan Development Agreement is derived from the Health Care Fund.
The 4 main deliverables are:
- Build upon earlier work through updating the relevant components of the 2008 assessment.
- Conduct interviews with a broad spectrum of stakeholders, analyzing results
- Conduct a resource inventory of available assets that can be used to reshape the community healthcare system.
- Comple an actionable, community based plan for reshaping the community healthcare system. This will include actionable steps and a variety of strategies that can be developed as opportunities and resources are available.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Robert Eschenfelder crafted the Agreement and has been involved in all aspects of the project.
Instructions to Board Records
One Original to Board Records. Return 2 Originals to Community Services.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$196,000 Health Care Fund
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: USF-RLS Final Letter.pdf
Attachment: Funding Agreement with Chamber Foundation for Healthcare System Analysis & Plan Development.pdf