|Manatee County Government Administrative Building First Floor, Chambers 9:00 a.m. - May 3, 2018|
Agenda Item #7
PDPI-17-27(G) - Bishop Animal Shelter - 20170539 - Quasi-Judicial - Ryan Todd, Planner I
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Ryan Todd, Planner I, 941-748-4501 ext. 3437
Bobbi Roy, Senior Planning & Zoning Tech/Planning Coordinator
941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, I move to APPROVE Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDPI-17-27(G); APPROVE a General Development Plan on property in the PDPI (Planned Development Public Interest) zoning district with Stipulations A.1-5, B.1, C.1, and D.1-3; GRANT Special Approval for a non-residential project exceeding 30,000 sq. ft. in the RES-3 FLUC; and a project that was previously granted Specific Approval for an alternative to Section 722.1.4 of the Land Development Code, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• The Bishop Animal Shelter ASPCA is requesting approval of a General Development Plan for a ± 36.65-acre site to permit the construction of approximately 136,470 additional sq.ft. to an existing animal shelter. Of the existing 22,970 sq.ft., 9,540 sq.ft. will be demolished. The additional square footage will be used for an expanded adoption building, a new isolation and an education building.
• The site was rezoned PDPI in 1991. In March of 1998, the Manatee County Board of County Commissioners approved Ordinance Number PDPI-97-03(P) and Preliminary Site Plan Number PDPI-97-03(P) to allow a 3,553 sq. ft. expansion of the existing animal shelter. Two Specific Approvals were granted with the approval: an alternative to Section 710.1.5.5.5.1 to allow use of the existing shell parking area for employees and an alternative to Section 722.1.4 to forego installation of a sidewalk along 17th Avenue West. The applicant wishes to maintain the Specific Approval granted to forego installation of a sidewalk along 17th Avenue West.
• The site is bordered by three residential subdivisions, a hospital, and a medical office park. Meadowcroft Condominiums, zoned BR_R-2, is north of the site. Lake Forest Estates and the West Palm Subdivision, both zoned RES-3, are located to the east of the site. The Blake Medical Center is to the east, and the Oakpark Professional Center is to the south.
• The site, as well as Lake Forest Estates and the West Palm Subdivision, is in the RES-3 FLUC.
• The applicant is requesting Special Approval to exceed 30,000 sq.ft. of non-residential gross building area in the RES-3 FLUC. Staff supports the request for Special Approval based on an analysis of surrounding uses and the proposed FAR.
• The applicant is also requesting that a Specific Approval granted in 1998 to relieve the applicant from emplacing a sidewalk along 17th Ave. West be honored with this request.
• Staff recommends approval.
• On April 12, 2018, by a vote of 6 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval. Mr. Rutledge was absent.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email to Matter 2018-0127 on March 9, 2018.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document and letter from the Florida Department of State to email@example.com
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - Bishop Animal Shelter - PDPI-17-27(G).pdf
Attachment: 2 - Staff Report Maps.pdf
Attachment: 3 - General Development Plan Bishop Animal Shelter PDPI-17-27(G).pdf
Attachment: 4 - Parking Study Bishop Animal Shelter PDPI1727(G).pdf
Attachment: 5 - Environmental Narrative Bishop Animal Shelter PDPI1727(G).pdf
Attachment: 6- Special Approval Request Bishop Animal Shelter PDPI1727(G).pdf
Attachment: 7 - Newspaper Advertising.pdf
Attachment: 8 - Ordinance PDPI-17-27(G) Bishop Animal Shelter.pdf