|May 23, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #37
Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant and Section 5339 Bus & Bus Facilities Grant Programs. Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2017 Appropriations
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William Steele, Transit Division Manager, William.Steele@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x7440
Chad Butzow, P.E., Deputy Director of Field Operations Services, Chad.Butzow@mymanatee.org, (941) 708-7450 x7432
Adopt Resolution R-17-051 which authorizes the submittal of FTA Section 5307 and 5339 grant applications for FFY 2017 appropriation grant funding. The total application requests are for approximately $3,980,000 in FTA Section 5307 funding and $395,000 in FTA Section 5339 grant funding to support Transit related capital and operating expenses.
Chapter 341, Florida Statutes, Rule 41-2, Florida Administrative Code, Federal Transit Administration Act of 1964, Comprehensive Plan 6.0 Mass Transit Element; Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21); Chapter 53 of Title 49, United States Code; The Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act.
- The FTA public transportation assistance program authorization is provided by Chapter 53 of Title 49, United States Code. The Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act (Pub L.114-94, December 4, 2015) made certain changes to Chapter 53 and provided contract authority and general fund authorization for FTA's public transportation assistance programs for five years (Fiscal Years 2016 through 2020). This process is commonly referred to as the "Reauthorization" for federal transportation programs.
- The FFY 2017 Section 5307 Urbanized Area apportionment for the Sarasota/Bradenton, FL UZA is $7,960,000 (Table 3, FTA Federal Register). Sarasota County and Manatee County split the urbanized area apportionment funding equally per executed Interlocal Agreement. Based upon the approved split, MCAT will receive $3,980,000 of the apportioned FTA Section 5307 funds.
- The Manatee County application for FTA Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant Funds will include: Funding for purchase of two (2) replacement 35’ buses, preventive maintenance, planning, computer hardware & software, purchase/lease of miscellaneous support equipment, purchase/installation of passenger amenities, office equipment, computers, and support equipment. Also included are the purchase and installation of security equipment necessary for the security of fleet and facilities, employee education/training, operating assistance funds, contingency, and project administration.
- This grant funding is listed in the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), Item No. 4101481. To meet grant requirements, a 20% local share is required for capital projects and 50% local share is required for operating assistance projects. Currently, Transit Division staff is coordinating with the FDOT on Transportation Development Credits in the amount of $870,000 to be used for the 20% local match for the capital portion of this grant application (i.e., 1.25 x $3,480,000 = $4,350,000 - $3,480,000 = $870,000). The local match of $500,000 for operating assistance funds will be provided via the FY 2017/18 Transit Operating Budget.
- The FFY 2017 Section 5339 Bus and Bus Facilities Apportionment for the Sarasota/Bradenton UZA is $790,000 (Table 12, FTA Federal Register). Sarasota County and Manatee County split the urbanized area apportionment funding equally per executed Interlocal Agreement. Based upon the approved split, MCAT will receive $395,000 of the apportioned FTA Section 5339 funds.
- The Manatee County application for the FTA Section 5339 Bus & Bus Facilities Formula Grant will include: Funding for the purchase/installation of passenger amenities (i.e passenger shelters, boarding pads, benches, trash receptacles, etc.) facility upkeep, and rehabilitation and repair of capital assets to maximize useful life.
- The FTA Section 5339 grant funding is listed in the FDOT STIP, Item No. 4345172. To meet grant requirements, a 20% local share is required for capital projects. Currently, Transit Division staff is coordinating with FDOT on Transportation Development Credits in the amount of $98,750 to be used for the 20% local match for this grant application (i.e., 1.25 x $395,000 = $493,750 - $395,000 = $98,750).
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (Utilizes exact document or procedure approved within the last 18 months)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please provide two (2) copies of originally certified Resolutions R-17-051 and a copy of the minutes to Edrick Sweeting, Grants Administrator, Public Works Department, Transit Division, (941) 708-7450 x7354, Edrick.Sweeting@mymanatee.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
435-0012000 Transit Operating; $500,000; FFY17 Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant Funds $3,980,000; FFY17 Section 5339 Bus & Bus Facilities Formula Grant $395,000.
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
The funds are budgeted for FY2017-2018
Attachment: Resolution R-17-051 - FTA 5307 & 5339.pdf