|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - May 20, 2014|
Agenda Item #34
West Coast Inland Navigation District 2015 Applications
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Charlie Hunsicker, Director Parks and Natural Resources
1. Adoption of Resolution R-14-053 approving the FY 2014-2015 grants to the West Coast Inland Navigation District (WCIND) and authorizing the submission of said applications.
2. Authorizing the Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners to sign any and all agreements with WCIND upon approval of said applications.
3. Authorizing the County Administrator or his designee to sign extensions and new sub-agreements with those agencies that are not County departments.
Chapter 374 Florida Statutes, West Coast Inland Navigation District
Rule 66A-2 Florida Administrative Code
On February 6, 2014, Parks and Natural Resources informed all current recipients and the mayors of all the municipalities that FY 2015 WCIND funding applications would be accepted until March 21, 2014. A total of 14 applications were received and meet the criteria.
2. Reduce the amount to the City of Anna Maria Island from $181,450 to $149,500 equal to the FY 13-14 allocation. Insufficient justification is provided for increasing the requested grant amount over the expenditures from previous years.
3. Reduce the request from the Sarasota Scientific Instruments from $24,250 to $12,125 for educational classes. This reduction is recommended because while this educational program is, in part, a similar program conducted by the now closed GWIZ, staff is uncertain as to the administrative capabilities to carry out this program to 61 separate field trips during the course of the school year. In addition to the quarterly reporting, we will monitor the performance of the new grant team during FY 2015.
The total request for WCIND funds is $1,265,887.44. An estimated $700,000 - $730,000 is projected to be available from the millage in FY 2014-2015, beginning October 1, 2014. Any additional funds needed to meet the amount approved by the Board can be drawn from the Countywide Navigational Improvement Funds (CNIF) portion of Manatee County's WCIND Funds. The additional amount needed to support the staff recommendation is estimated at $535,887.44. As of March 31, 2014, there was $1,736,826.96 available in CNIF.
Staff recommends that the Board adopt Resolution R-14-053 approving the 2014-2015 applications as recommended by staff and authorizing staff to transmit to WCIND.
After these applications are submitted, WCIND will review and approve them at their September meeting and formal agreements are executed. At this same meeting, WCIND will approve and sign all amendments/extensions for those grantees that request a one year extension which is allowed under Rule 66A-2 F.A.C. There are also sub-agreements and amendments between the County and those grantees not associated with any County function. Since the BOCC usually signs the agreements after the WCIND Chairman and the next WCIND meeting is not until November, there is a significant delay in doing any administrative work.
Staff is recommending that 1) The BOCC Chairman be authorized to sign all grant agreements between WCIND and Manatee County for those approved applications prior to the September WCIND meeting and 2) the County Administrator or his designee be authorized to execute all sub-agreements and extension amendments between Manatee County and those approved agencies prior to the WCIND September meeting.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please return executed Resolution R-14-053 to Maggie Marr (email@example.com, #6052) for transmittal to WCIND.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: RESOLUTION R-14-053.pdf
Attachment: Law Enforcement 2015.pdf
Attachment: Boating Rec 2015.pdf
Attachment: Boating Safety 2015.pdf
Attachment: Environ Ed 2015.pdf
Attachment: Nav Improvement 2015.pdf
Attachment: WCIND 5-year Summary.pdf
Attachment: WCIND 5-Year Plan.pdf