|May 19, 2015 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #31
Tampa Bay Environmental Restoration Fund
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Charlie Hunsicker, Director, Parks & Natural Resources, x 6001
Authorize Manatee County Board of County Commissioners to participate in the Tampa Bay Environmental Restoration Fund by making a contribution of $75,000; and adopt Budget Resolution B-15-057 amending the annual budget of Manatee County, Florida, for FY 2015.
- The Tampa Bay Environmental Restoration Fund (TBERF) is a competitive grants program with the goal of funding projects which restore and protect Tampa Bay and its watershed, including Manatee County.
- The Tampa Bay Estuary Program and the national non-profit organization Restore America's Estuaries encourage contributors from public and private sectors to participate.
- In TBERF's first two years (2013 and 2014), 12 contributors provided $1.5 million, funding 18 projects, which allowed for the restoration of 1,500 acres of coastal habitat restoration and 3,900 linear feet of oyster reefs; treatment of urban runoff from 500+ acres; protection of colonial waterbird islands; and assessment of harmful algal blooms, carbon sequestration from restored habitats, and hard bottom habitat.
- In 2014, the grant program was financed with contributions from Southwest Florida Water Management District; The Mosaic Company Foundation through the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation; Manatee County; Pinellas County; TECO Energy; the Florida Department of Transportation; and Port Tampa Bay.
- In 2014, Manatee County contributed $75,000 to the TBERF and was awarded two grants for a total of $140,260. The awards were for Oyster Bar Restoration at Robinson Preserve ($53,000) and Duette Preserve Hydrologic Restoration ($87,260).
- Manatee County proposes a similar contribution of $75,000 from the phosphate severance fund to be used as a cash contribution to TBERF for FY2015/2016. At the present time there is approximately a $4 million balance in the phosphate severance fund.
- Manatee County again submitted two grant applications for TBERF 2015, which will be awarded in May 2015.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Provide one executed copy to Kay Rogers, Parks & Natural Resources Department, ext. 6043, email@example.com
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
120-0990002 Phosphate Severance Fund
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: TBERF summary_ 2014_ Manatee County.pdf
Attachment: Budget Resolution B-15-057.pdf