|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - May 14, 2015|
Agenda Item #2
PDR-15-01(Z)(P) - Soho Mendoza, LLC/Willow Hammock - DTS20150012 - MEPS387 -
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Stephanie Moreland, Principal Planner
941-748-4501 ext. 3880
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator
941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• Ms. Rachel Layton, and James Brearley, Agents for Soho Mendoza, LLC, requests a rezone of approximately 147.93± acres from the A-1 (Suburban Agriculture-One dwelling unit per acre) to PDR (Planned Development Residential) zoning district; and approval of a Preliminary Site Plan for 299 lots for single-family detached residences. The site is on the west side of I-75 and north side of Mendoza Road, at 5000-37th Street East, Ellenton, a designated Entranceway.
• The site is in the A, and X Flood Zone Categories (FIRM Panel 12081C0167E, effective March 17, 2014).
• 113.20± acres are in the RES-3 (Residential – three dwelling units per acre) FLUC. 34.73± acres are designated RES-6 (Residential – six dwelling units per acre). RES-3 and RES-6 FLUCs list suburban or urban residential uses in the range of potential uses for consideration.
• The project has established gross density compliance with the Future Land Use Map. The maximum number of dwelling units permitted for the two FLUC’s is 548.
• Special Approval is required for a project exceeding a gross density of two dwelling units per acre in RES-3 Future Land Use Category (FLUC); in a designated Entranceway; and adjacent to a perennial stream.
• Planned development is the process necessary to achieve Special Approval. Planned development zoning also provides greater flexibility for the project when establishing appropriate buffers and setbacks to help mitigate potential adverse impacts such as noise from I-75 and surrounding agricultural neighborhoods.
• The Land Development Code (LDC) requires two means of access for a project with more than 100 units. The Preliminary Site Plan shows a boulevard entrance (2nd means of access) and an emergency access connecting a future right of way for the extension of 49th Avenue East (Experimental Farm Road). The right of way extends southward to Mendoza Road and northward to Ellenton Gillette Road.
• There are 12.40± acres of wetlands and 5.86± acres of wetland buffers. There are no impacts proposed to the wetlands and wetland buffers.
• Schools servicing this site are Tillman Elementary, Lincoln Middle and Palmetto High schools.
• The applicant hosted a neighborhood meeting with the residents on 3/9/15. Concerns raised include traffic and circulation routes.
• According to the design, lots for single-family detached residences are proposed along the eastern boundary of the site adjacent to I-75 and the southern boundary adjacent to Mendoza Road. Staff has a concern that future residents may be subject to noise from vehicles traveling along I-75 and Mendoza Road.
• To address any potential noise impacts from vehicles travelling on I-75, the design shows a 100-foot wide landscaped roadway buffer will be installed adjacent to I-75. In addition to landscaping, the buffer will include a wall. Staff recommends the wall be constructed on top of a berm. The height and type of wall and berm should be determined when a noise study is completed prior to Final Site Plan approval.
• Additionally, a 20-foot wide landscaped roadway buffer will be provided along Mendoza Road. Staff recommends an extension of the wall and berm along Mendoza Road.
• Staff recommends approval with stipulations.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email on April 24, 2015.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - Willow Hammock - PDR-15-01(Z)(P) - 5-14-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Zoning Disclosure Affidavit - Willow Hammock - PDR-15-01(Z)(P) - 5-14-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Request for Special Approval - Willow Hammock - PDR-15-01(Z)(P) - 5-14-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Affidavit of Publishing - Willow Hammock - PDR-15-01(Z)(P) - Sarasota Herald Tribune - 5-14-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Affidavit of Publishing -Willow Hammock - PDR-15-01(Z)(P) - Bradenton Herald - 5-14-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Traffic Analysis - Willow Hammock - PDR-15-01(Z)(P) - 5-14-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Preliminary Site Plan - Willow Hammock - PDR-15-01(Z)(P) - 5-14-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Maps Future Land Use, Zoning, Aerial- Willow Hammock PDR1501 5-14-15.pdf