|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - May 14, 2015|
Agenda Item #4
LDCT-14-06/ Ordinance 15-03- Land Development Code Text Amendment- Manufacturing Development Plan Program- Legislative- John Barnott
Contact and/or Presenter Information
John Barnott, Director
941-748-4501 x 3887
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator
941-748-4501 x 6878
Based upon the Staff Report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, I move to recommend ADOPTION of Manatee County Ordinance 15-03, amending the Manatee County Land Development Code, as amended, as recommended staff.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• In mid-2013, the Florida Legislation passed the Manufacturing Competiveness Act - established pursuant to Sections 163.325-163.3252, Florida Statutes (the “Manufacturing Competitiveness Act” or “Act”). The Act is designed to assist local governments in the State of Florida to attract, establish, and maintain manufacturing enterprises in furtherance of creating a competitive economic environment, resulting in increased employment opportunities and the general economic betterment of the County.
• The State of Florida is among the bottom five US states in terms of its percentage of gross state product that comes from manufacturing.
• The Act allows local governments to streamline regulation approvals, giving manufactures the ability to operate in competitive consumer markets. The Act authorizes local governments to voluntarily adopt, by ordinance, a Local Manufacturing Development Program that would allow manufactures to obtain master plan approval for manufacturing sites. The agreed upon master plan sets the outer limits on the site that would remain applicable over the term of the master plan. Once the master plan is approved, the manufacturer would not need further local approval for future expansions or modifications (except for those involving building code, life, or safety issues).
• Manufactures that reside in participating counties will also have access to a coordinated permitting process at the state level for the most common state permits.
• Therefore, in order to remain attractive and be competitive to the manufacturing industry, staff recommends establishment of a Local Manufacturing Development Program in Manatee County.
• The proposed Ordinance, providing for the establishment of a local manufacturing development program for the County, recognizes the deterrents of risk, unpredictability, and excessive resource commitment to the establishment and expansion of manufacturing enterprises, and establishes a process for the expeditious and predictable review and approval of manufacturing development projects and their future expansion.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
William Clague reviewed and responded by email.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report ORD 15-03 Manufacturing Development Program - 5-14-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Affidavit of Publishing - LDC Amendment - Manufacturing Plan Program - Ordinance 15-03 - 5-14-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Affidavit of Publishing - Ordinance 15-03 - Manufacturing Plan Program - Sarasota Herald Tribune.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance - LDC Amendment Ordinance 15-03 - Manufacturing Plan Program - 5-14-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Figure 604.13.2 boundaries of MDO.pdf