|Manatee County Government Administrative Building First Floor - Chambers May 11, 2017 - 9:00 am|
Agenda Item #4
PDMU-16-10(P) - SMR Auto, LLC/U.S. 41 Apartment Complex - DTS20160167 - Quasi-Judicial - Stephanie Moreland, Principal Planner
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Stephanie Moreland, Principal Planner, 941-748-4501 ext. 3880
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to recommend APPROVAL of Preliminary Site Plan PDMU-16-10(P) with Stipulations A.1–A.5, B.1–B-2, C.1-C.2 and D.1; GRANTING Special Approval for a project: 1) exceeding a gross density of nine (9) dwelling units per acre and exceeding a net density of 12 dwelling units per acre in RES-16 Future Land Use Category (FLUC); and 2) exceeding a gross density of (6) dwelling units per acre in R/O/R FLUC, as recommended by staff.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Plan
• On November 6, 2008, the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) approved a rezone [PDMU-06-86(Z)(P)] of the larger 9.1± acre parcel from PDC (Planned Development Commercial), RDD-6 (Residential Duplex Dwelling - six dwelling units per acre) and RSF-6 (Residential Single-Family - six dwelling units per acre) zoning districts to PDMU (Planned Development Mixed Use) zoning district. At that time, a Preliminary Site Plan was approved for a convenience store, mini-warehouse facility (with two driveways connecting U.S. 41), and eight (8) lots for single-family detached residences adjacent to 16th Street West. The convenience store with gas pumps and canopy (Race Trac Petroleum Inc.) was constructed as part of Phase One and is now a separate parcel.
• On August 8, 2013, the BOCC approved a revision to the Preliminary Site Plan [PDMU-06-86(P)(R2)] to eliminate the mini-warehouse facility, office use and 8-residential lots and add a 2,460 square foot building for motor vehicle sales, rental, leasing, and motor vehicle repair establishments. From this approval, only the vehicle sales establishment (Stan Thompson Motor Vehicle Sales) was constructed. The Preliminary Site Plan expired November 2013.
• The proposed multi-family project will be constructed on the remaining western part of the site which has approximately 400 feet of frontage along 16th Street West.
• The project proposes 13.50 dwelling units per acre. Special Approval is required for a project exceeding a gross density of nine (9) dwelling units per acre and a net density of 12 dwelling units per acre in RES-16 Future Land Use Category (FLUC); and exceeding a gross density of (6) dwelling units per acre in R/O/R FLUC.
• The site plan shows nine, two-story buildings, for residential multi-family units to be constructed in one phase.
• The buildings encompass a large stormwater pond in the center of the site. 192 parking spaces are required and shown on the Preliminary Site Plan. Parking is proposed adjacent to the residential buildings and along the north, and south boundaries. The Preliminary Site Plan shows a six foot tall opaque fence will be installed in the northern and southern boundaries in areas adjacent to residential lots or uses.
• Recreational amenities include a 2,000 square foot amenity center, pool and five-foot wide pathway around the existing pond.
• There are existing five-foot wide sidewalks along U.S.41 adjacent to the project. Five-foot wide sidewalks are proposed along the east side of 16th Street West.
• The design shows one access point. The proposed internal driveways will connect an existing shared access [between the vehicle sales establishment (Stan Thompson) and Race Trac] to U.S.41. Staff recommends the applicant provide a legal means of access to U.S.41 for the proposed apartments in the form of a Reciprocal Easement Agreement to be recorded in the Public Records, prior to the Board of County Commissioners public hearing.
• Staff recommends approval with stipulations.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email to Matter 2016-0709 on September 26 and October 17, 2016.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - SMT Auto -- US 41 Apt. Complex - PDMU-16-10(P).pdf
Attachment: 2 - Maps - Aerials.pdf
Attachment: 3 - Preliminary Site Plan.pdf
Attachment: 4 - Traffic Impact Statement.pdf
Attachment: 5 - Special Approval Request Letter.pdf
Attachment: 6 - Newspaper Advertising.pdf