|March 25, 2014 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #33
2014 Project Priorities and Grant Requests
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Transportation Planning Division Manager
Adopt "Table 1. Manatee County 2014 Project Priorities and Grant Requests" and authorize staff to transmit Table 1 to the Metropolitan Planning Organization and Florida Department of Transportation as County recommendations for the State's FY15/16-FY19/20 Work Program development process.
The Sarasota-Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) requests that each agency review its project priorities prior to MPO Board adoption. This report provides the staff-recommended priority list for 2014. In general, project priorities selected for funding from this list will appear in FY18/19 or FY19/20 of the Florida Department of Transportation’s (FDOT) five-year program approved by the legislature in 2015.
Table 1 presents the staff proposed priorities for 2014. The highlighted rows are 2013 priorities that were not funded or were only partially funded in the most recent program.
- Major Improvement Project Priorities. Staff recommends three changes to the major projects. One is to identify a Central Manatee Network Alternatives Analysis (CMNAA) improvements “box” to fund projects that might arise from the study. The Manatee River Bridge study is now part of the CMNAA study, and staff recommends consideration of Ft. Hamer Rd improvements to replace it. Also, staff recommends replacing Bus Rapid Transit with a section of 44th Avenue, effectively promoting it from cost-feasible-with-local-funds to cost-feasible-with-Federal-funds. "Table 2. Manatee County Government: 2014 Proposed Changes to 2013 Adopted MPO Major Project Priorities" shows the proposed changes in the context of the adopted, overall MPO major project priority list.
- Congestion Management System (CMS). Staff recommends resubmitting three projects and introducing one new project for the 51st Street West and 53rd Avenue West intersection.
- Transportation Alternatives/Regional Trails. The Green Bridge multi-use trail was a major City transportation alternative project from last year. The scale of the project did not allow for funding of additional transportation alternatives projects. Therefore, staff proposes to resubmit all of last year’s local Transportation Alternatives projects, add four new ones, and to resubmit last year’s Willow-Ellenton regional trail project.
- U.S. 41 Multimodal Emphasis Corridor (MEC). The MPO did not prioritize new MEC projects in 2013. Therefore, staff recommends resubmitting last year’s projects and proposes three additional projects.
- Transportation Regional Incentive Program (TRIP). Staff proposes to submit last year’s US 301 at Ellenton-Gillette intersection project as a County Incentive Grant Program and to introduce Cortez Road at 43rd Street West as a new TRIP project.
County action on these priorities is the beginning of an approximate 18 month process. "Table 3. FDOT Work Program / MPO Transportation Improvement Program: Approximate Calendar of Events" shows significant milestones and roughly when they occur. Staff submitted draft project lists to FDOT and the MPO on February 3, 2014. Referring to Table 3, this agenda item is the Mar/Apr Year 1 County Commission action on the priorities. After MPO staff works with subcommittees, the MPO Board is expected to consider the priorities along with those from other jurisdictions at the June 23, 2014, regular meeting. FDOT staff will use the priorities during the Fall 2014 project selection and program development process for a work program that will go into effect July 1, 2015, and the Transportation Improvement Program the MPO Board will adopt in Summer 2015 (July of Year 2 in Table 3).
- County Incentive Grant Program. This is a State grant program with applications submitted by the County directly to FDOT. No projects were funded last year. Staff recommends resubmitting last year’s projects and to include the US 301 at Ellenton-Gillette intersection project which was a TRIP priority last year.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please return a copy of the approved agenda item to Clarke Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org, 941.708.7450, x7272
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs