|March 18, 2014 - Work Session (Morning)|
Agenda Item #2
Skilled Workforce Solutions
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Cheri Coryea, Director, Neighborhood Services
Karen Stewart, Economic Development Division Manager
- Discussion of streamlining of EDI projects and partner development contributing to the Skilled Workforce Solution
- Discussion of future skilled workforce needs to meet local demands and shape future business growth among all stakeholders in Manatee County.
- Creating a "Business Friendly Environment" (BOCC Objective 7) has been a top priority since the inception of the Jobs Now Initiative in 2009.
- Enhancing the rapid response process for business development required a new focus from all County departments and related service providers.
- Established by the County Administrator and led by the Economic Development Division Manager, the process for expediting review of eligible EDI projects has become an effective time saving and cost reduction incentive for business relocation and expansion in Manatee County.
- Partnerships and collaboration among government, academic, training, economic and workforce partners has become a top priority among all stakeholders in an effort to meet the challenges of providing skilled workers for new jobs.
- Air Products relocation to the Port Manatee area, creating over 250 new full-time quality jobs, is a prime example of the success of the "Business Friendly Environment" in Manatee County.
- Staff is presenting the actual timeline from first contact to the area by Air Products to Certificate of Occupancy and beginning of production.
- The presentation emphasizes the team effort of all workforce partners and the challenges of making this type of effort the norm.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Air Products EDI $375,000...QTI Local Match $150,000...QACF $125,000...TIFI $70,147 =Total $720,147
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Incentive paid annually upon eligible activities achieved by company