|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor June 4, 2015 - 9:00 a.m.|
Agenda Item #5
LDCT-14-06/Ordinance 15-03 - Land Development Code Text Amendment - Manufacturing Development Plan Program - John Barnott
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
John Barnott, Director
941-748-4501 ext. 3887
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator
941-748-4501 ext. 6878
No Action Necessary; this is the first of two required public hearing. The second public hearing is scheduled for June 16, 2015.
Manatee County Land Development Code
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
• In mid-2013, the Florida Legislation passed the Manufacturing Competiveness Act - established pursuant to Sections 163.325-163.3252, Florida Statutes (the “Manufacturing Competitiveness Act” or “Act”). The Act is designed to assist local governments in the State of Florida to attract, establish, and maintain manufacturing enterprises in furtherance of creating a competitive economic environment, resulting in increased employment opportunities and the general economic betterment of the County.
• The State of Florida is among the bottom five US states in terms of its percentage of gross state product that comes from manufacturing.
• The Act allows local governments to streamline regulation approvals, giving manufactures the ability to operate in competitive consumer markets. The Act authorizes local governments to voluntarily adopt, by ordinance, a Local Manufacturing Development Program that would allow manufactures to obtain master plan approval for manufacturing sites. The agreed upon master plan sets the outer limits on the site that would remain applicable over the term of the master plan. Once the master plan is approved, the manufacturer would not need further local approval for future expansions or modifications (except for those involving building code, life, or safety issues).
• In order to remain attractive and be competitive to the manufacturing industry, staff recommends establishment of a Local Manufacturing Development Program in Manatee County.
• The proposed Ordinance, providing for the establishment of a local manufacturing development program for the County, recognizes the deterrents of risk, unpredictability, and excessive resource commitment to the establishment and expansion of manufacturing enterprises, and establishes a process for the expeditious and predictable review and approval of manufacturing development projects and their future expansion.
• The establishment of a local manufacturing development program pursuant to the Act entitles manufacturers and manufacturing developers to participate in the State’s coordinated manufacturing development approval process, intended to facilitate the expeditious receipt of those State permits necessary to establish or expand a manufacturing enterprise.
• The establishment of the local manufacturing development program in Manatee County will allow those who qualify (within a specific designated area, zoning, and future land use) to seek approval of a master development plan that will have a 10 year approval and allow the owner to go directly from Board approval at an advertised public hearing to building permit approvals. This will provide the needed expeditious and predictable review for those who qualify.
• In order to implement, staff recommends the BOCC:
• On May 14, 2015, by a vote of 4 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
William Clague reviewed and responded by email on December 3, 2014.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report ORD 15-03 Manufacturing Development Program - 6-4-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance - LDC Amendment Ordinance 15-03 - Manufacturing Plan Program - 6-4-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Figure 604.13.2 boundaries of MDO.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - LDC Amendment Manufacturing Plan Program - Ord. 15-03 - Bradenton Herald - 6-4-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - LDC Amendment Manufacturing Plan Program - Ord. 15-03 - Sarasota Herald Tribune - 6-4-15 BC.pdf