|June 17, 2014 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #10
Emergency Management Accreditation Program Presentation
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Don Hermey, Emergency Management Chief
Ron Koper, Public Safety Director
- Manatee County understands the importance of a strong and vibrant emergency management program which includes not just the county government but all its partners and stakeholders ready to prepare, respond, recover, and mitigate any disaster that may befall us.
- To that end, the emergency operations center team has been working diligently to develop all components of its program to include those components that have been well documented for continuity of the program.
- As a result of those efforts, Manatee County became the fourth Florida government to earn accreditation from the Emergency Management Accreditation Program (EMAP), the country's only accreditation process for emergency management programs.
- On May 14, the Emergency Management Accreditation Commission unanimously voted to confirm Manatee County as an accredited jurisdiction.
- EMAP recognizes the ability of emergency management programs to bring together personnel, resources, and communications from a variety of agencies and organizations in preparation for and in response to an emergency.
- The EMAP process evaluates emergency management programs on compliance with over 100 components in sixteen areas, including: planning; resource management; training; exercises; evaluations and corrective actions; and communications and warning. These requirements form the foundation of the nation's emergency preparedness system.
- This accreditation is a testament to the entire community including county departments, first responders, municipalities, not-for-profit organizations, volunteer groups, and private sector business partners all who stand ready as partners in disasters.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs