|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - July 9, 2015|
Agenda Item #8
PDMU-14-20(Z)(G) - LAKE FLORES I, LLC and LAKE FLORES EAST, LLC / LAKE FLORES / (DTS #20140252; MEPS #316)- Quasi-Judicial- Margaret Tusing
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Margaret Tusing, Principal Planner
941-748-4501 ext. 6828
Danielle Walker, Planning Tech II
941-748-4501 ext. 6936
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to recommend ADOPTION of Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDMU-14-20(Z)(G); APPROVAL of the General Development Plan, including the Design Requirements, with Stipulations A.1-A.5, B.1-B.5, and C.1-C.6; finding that the criteria in Section 402.7.D.9 for increased building height are satisfied, GRANTING Special Approval for:
1) a mixed and multiple use project in subareas MU-C/AC-1 (Policy 22.214.171.124.2.a.), MU-C/AC-2 (Policy 126.96.36.199.3.a.), and MU-C/RU (Policy 188.8.131.52.6.a) of the MU-C (Mixed Use-Community) Future Land Use Category,
2) non-residential uses exceeding 150,000 square feet in subareas MU-C/AC-1 (Policy 184.108.40.206.2.b.) and MU-C/AC-2 (Policy 220.127.116.11.3.d.) of the MU-C Future Land Use Category,
3) non-residential exceeding 30,000 square feet in the MU-C/RU (Policy 18.104.22.168.2.c.) of the MU-C Future Land Use Category, and
4) any project in subarea MU-C/AC-2 exceeding 6 dwelling units/gross acre (Policy 22.214.171.124.b.);
and GRANTING Specific Approval for alternatives to Chapters 4- Zoning, 5- Standard for Accessory and Specific Uses and Structures, 8- Engineering Design and Utilities, and 10- Transportation Management that comply with the Design Requirements approved as part of the General Development Plan as recommended by staff.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• Mr. Caleb Grimes with Grimes Goebel, et al, agent for the property owner, is requesting approval of a Rezone to PD-MU, General Development Plan, and Design Requirements for 6,500 residential units; 3,000,000 square feet of non-residential uses, and 500 hotel/motel room on approximately 1,292 acre property located south of Cortez Road, east and west of 75th Street West and northeasterly along El Conquistador Parkway in southwestern Manatee County.
• The site is located in the County’s Urban Service Area and in the MU-C (Mixed Use-Community) Future Land Use Category with subareas of MU-C/AC-1 (Mixed Use – Community Center Level 1), MU-C/AC-2 (Mixed Use – Community/Activity Center Level 2), and MU-C/RU (Mixed Use – Community/Residential Urban).
• The following Special Approvals are required:
• Mixed and Multiple Use project in subareas MU-C/AC-1, MU-C/AC-2, and MU-C/RU of the U-C Future Land Use Category.
• Non-residential uses exceeding 150,000 square feet in subareas MU-C/AC-1 and MU-C/AC-2 of the MU-C Future Land Use Category.
• Non-residential uses exceeding 30,000 square feet in the MU-C/RU of the MU-C Future Land Use Category.
• Any project in subarea MU-C/AC-2 exceeding 6 dwelling units/gross acre.
• As part of this application, a set of specific Design Requirements for the Lake Flores project will be adopted. These Design Requirements are consistent with the objectives of the MU-C Future Land Use Category by permitting the project design to use the principles of compact, walkable development, with a full complement of on-site housing, recreation, employment opportunities, and services and shopping for residents and neighboring communities. The proposed Design Requirements may not strictly comply with each of the provisions the following Land Development Code (LDC) Chapters; therefore, Specific Approval is requested for:
• LDC Chapter 4 – Zoning
• LDC Chapter 5 – Standards for Accessory and Specific Uses and Structures
• LDC Chapter 8 – Engineering Design and Utilities
• LDC Chapter 10 – Transportation Management
• Lake Flores is an infill project meeting Comprehensive Plan definitions for Mixed or Multiple Use project and Neo-Traditional Development.
• The project provides a variety of open space areas and trails, including a central Multi-Model Trail/Greenway providing recreation, exercise, and connection between the eastern project boundaries through residential areas and ending in the District Area where the businesses and retail will be located.
• The project has an approved Local Development Agreement outlining methods and procedures to mitigate transportation impacts and provide for the construction of roadway improvements as a proportionate share project.
• The project is located in the Urban Service Area (USA) an area where public facilities and services are already in place
• Approximately 374 acres (28%) are proposed for open space. More than 200 acres of lakes will be located throughout the project and the edges of the lakes will be designed to provide paths, parks and landscaping.
• The Lake Flores property has been farmed since the early- to mid-1900’s. There are approximately 69.38 acres of wetlands and the applicant proposes to impact approximately 62.02 acres. These impacted wetlands fall into the following categories: Non-Viable Wetlands – UMAM of < 0.4 (1.34 acres); No Practical Alternative – maintaining the proposed street grid network and providing connections to existing off-site roads (27.92 acres); and Ecosystem Management Plan – wetland mitigation will replace 150% of the wetland functions lost by the proposed impacts (32.76 acres). EPD Staff has no objections to the Wetland Impacts.
• Staff recommends approval with Stipulations.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Maps- Future Land Use, Zoning, Aerials- Lake Flores-PDMU-14-20(Z)(G)-070915PC.pdf
Attachment: Design Requirements- Lake Flores- PDMU-14-20(Z)(G)-070915PC .pdf
Attachment: School Report - Lake Flores-PDMU-14-20(Z)(G)-070915PC.pdf
Attachment: Road Improvement Summary- Table 8- Lake Flores- PDMU-14-20(Z)(G)-070915PC.pdf
Attachment: Traffic Impact Analysis - Lake Flores - PDR-14-20(Z)(G) - 7-9-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Large Project Application- Lake Flores- PDMU-14-20(Z)(G)- 070915PC.pdf
Attachment: Zoning Disclosure Affidavit- Lake Flores East- PDMU-14-20(Z)(G)-070915PC.pdf
Attachment: Zoning Disclosure Affidavit- Lake Flores- PDMU-14-20(Z)(G)-070915PC.pdf
Attachment: Applicants Request for Additional Presentation Time - Lake Flores - PDMU-14-20(Z)(G) - 7-9-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Specific Approval Letter- Lake Flores- PDMU-14-20(Z)(G).pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Lake Flores - PDMU-14-20(Z)(G) - Sarasota Herald - 7-9-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising -Lake Flores - PDMU-14-20(Z)(G) - Bradenton Herald - 7-9-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Public Comments - Lake Flores - PDMU-14-02(Z)(G).pdf
Attachment: Staff Report- Lake Flores- PDMU-14-20(Z)(G)-070915PC.pdf