|July 30, 2013 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #26
Hardee Correctional Inmate Contract #WS852
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Charlie Hunsicker, Director
Authorization for the Chairman to execute Florida Department of Corrections contract #WS852 which replaces contract #WS695 for deployment of State Department of Corrections work squad for the Natural Resources Department.
- With the Natural Resources Department managing and maintaining 30,000 acres of conservation lands, utilizing inmate labor is a valuable resource and provides cost savings. The Hardee Correctional Institution has provided approximately 8,000 hours of inmate labor annually for use at Duette Preserve and occasionally at other county preserves under annual agreements executed by the Board. The assistance of inmate labor has been instrumental in accomplishing the amount of work that is required in the maintenance of our environmental preserves.
- On September 6, 2011, Work Squad Contract #WS695 between the Florida Department of Corrections and Manatee County Board of County Commissioners was approved. The contract provided for a dedicated inmate labor work crew for one year to provide land management services and work on county managed lands under the supervision of the Department of Corrections.
- On July 3, 2012, WS695 Amendment #1 renewed the contract for one (1) year, extending the contract to September 22, 2013.
- The attached Work Squad Contract #WS852 replaces the current contract #WS695. This contract is for one year, beginning on September 23, 2013, and ending on September 22, 2014, with a renewal option at the Agency's initiative for one additional year under the same terms and conditions.
- Staff recommends acceptance of Work Squad Contract #WS852.
- Funding source is the Water/Sewer Watershed Management Fund.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (Utilizes exact document or procedure approved within the last 18 months)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Return two executed original agreements to Jayne Roberts, Natural Resources Dept., for transmittal to the Florida Department of Corrections.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: FDOC Contract #WS852.pdf