|July 26, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #82
Tourist Development Council
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Presenter: Elliott Falcione, Executive Director, CVB
Contact: Monica Luff, Sr. Admin. Spec., CVB
Appointment of two (2) persons to the Tourist Development Council for the "Elected Official" positions; AND appointment of one (1) person for a "Hotelier" position.
F.S.S. 125.0104(4)(e) Tourist Development Council
- Per F.S. 125.0104(4)(e), of the nine positions on the TDC, three must be elected officials; one being a county commissioner to act as Chair, one must be from the largest municipality (Bradenton), and one from any other municipality in the county.
- Elected Official seats are currently being held by Carol Whitmore, Chairman; Mayor Wayne Poston, City of Bradenton, who is seeking re-appointment, and Jean Peelen, City of Holmes Beach, who is not seeking re-appointment.
- The only qualified applicant for the "Bradenton" Elected Official position is:
- Mayor Wayne Poston, seeking re-appointment
- Qualified applicants for the "other Municipality" position are:
- Carol Carter, City of Anna Maria
- Douglas Copeland, City of Anna Maria
- Ed Zunz, Town of Longboat Key
- The terms expire June 30, 2020.
- Per F.S. 125.0104(4)(e), of the nine positions on the TDC, at least three, but no more than four members must be owners/operators of hotels, motels, recreational vehicle parks, or other tourist accommodations ("Hotelier") in the county and subject to the 5% resort tax in Manatee County.
- Recently, Scott Busby, President & COO of Charter One Hotels, vacated his seat on the TDC. The remaining 3 "Hotelier" seats are held by Ed Chiles, owner/operator of Mainsail; David Teitelbaum, owner/operator of Tortuga Inn; and Dale Sconyers, GM of Holiday Inn Lakewood Ranch.
- The only qualified applicant for the vacated "Hotelier" position is:
- Trevor Gooby, GM of Pirate City accommodations (short term rental accommodations subject to the Manatee County 5% resort tax)
- The remainder of this term expires June 30, 2017.
The vacancies were advertised in the local newspaper.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: TDC MEMBERS 2016.pdf
Attachment: TDC App 2016 - Carter.pdf
Attachment: TDC App 2016 - Copeland.pdf
Attachment: TDC App 2016 - Gooby.pdf
Attachment: TDC App 2016 - Poston.pdf
Attachment: TDC App 2016 - Zunz.pdf