|July 25, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #45
Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant and Section 5339 Bus & Bus Facilities Grant Programs; Federal Fiscal Year 2017 Appropriations.
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William Steele, Transit Division Manager, William.Steele@mymanatee.org (941) 747-8621 x 7440
Chad Butzow, Public Works Deputy Director, Chad.Butzow@mymanatee.org (941) 708-7432
Adoption of Resolution R-17-085 authorizing the submittal of applications and acceptance of Federal Transit Administration (FTA) grant funding.
Chapter 341, Florida Statutes, Rule 41-2, Florida Administrative Code, Federal Transit Administration Act of 1964, Comprehensive Plan 6.0 Mass Transit Element; Moving Ahead of Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21); Chapter 53 of Title 49, United States Code; The fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act.
- On May 23, 2017, the Board adopted Resolution R-17-051 authorizing the submittal of FTA Section 5307 and 5339 grant applications for Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2017 appropriation grant funding. The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) annually publishes one or more notices to apportion funds appropriated by law. On January 19, 2017, FTA's Federal Register Notice provided interim guidance for programs in FY 2017 and made new funding available through April 28, 2017, under the further Continuing and Security Assistance Appropriations Act, 2017 (Pub. L. 114-254). The funding amount for $3,980,000 in FTA Section 5307 and $395,000 in FTA Section 5339 grant funding presented to the Board on May 23, 2017, were estimates based upon this partial appropriation for Federal Fiscal Year 2016/17.
- Since that time, Congress enacted the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017, Pub. L. 115-31 on May 5, 2017 (appropriations Act, 2017) that allows FTA to provide full programmatic funding for the entire fiscal year (i.e., through September 30, 2017). This is the second notice which announces the remaining apportionment for programs funded in Fiscal Year (FY) 2017. Based upon the FTA's FFY 2017 full year apportionment tables (Table 3 & Table 12, FTA Federal Register) the actual amounts are $3,998,891 in FTA Section 5307 and $399,487 in FTA Section 5339 grant funding. Therefore, staff is requesting authority to submit FTA Section 5307 and 5339 application at this slightly higher apportionment funding level; and this is the full appropriation for FFY 2017.
- The FFY 2017 Section 5307 Urbanized Area apportionment for the Sarasota/Bradenton, FL UZA is $7,997,782 (Table 3, FTA Federal Register). Sarasota County and Manatee County split the urbanized area (UZA) apportionment funding equally per executed Inter-local Agreement. Based upon the approved funding split, MCAT will receive $3,998,891 (i.e.50%) of apportioned Section 5307 funds for the Sarasota/Bradenton, FL UZA.
- The Manatee County application for FTA Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant Funds will include: Funding for purchase of two (2) replacement 35' buses, preventative maintenance, planning, computer hardware & software, purchase/lease of miscellaneous support equipment, purchase/installation of passenger amenities, office equipment, computers, and support equipment. Also included are the purchase and installation of security equipment necessary for the security of fleet and facilities, employee education/training, operating assistance funds, contingency, and project administration.
- The grant funding is listed in the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), Item No. 4101481. To meet grant requirements, a 20% local share is required for capital projects and 50% local share is required for operating assistance projects. Currently, Transit Division Staff is coordinating with FDOT on Transportation Development Credits in the amount of *$874,723 to be used for the 20% local match for the capital portion of this grant application. *(1.25 x $3,498,891= $4,373,614-$3,498,891=$874,723). The local match of $500,000 in FTA operating assistance funds will be provided via the FY 2017/18 Transit Operating Budget.
- The FFY 17 Section 5339 Bus and Bus Facilities Apportionment for the Sarasota/Bradenton UZA is $798,974 (Table 12, FTA Federal Register). Sarasota County and Manatee County split the urbanized area apportionment funding equally per executed Inter-local Agreement. Based upon the approved split, MCAT will receive $399,487 (50%) for the apportioned FTA Section 5339 funds.
- The Manatee County application for the FTA Section 5339 Bus & Bus Facilities Formula Grant will include: Funding for the purchase/installation of passenger amenities (i.e. passenger shelters, boarding pads, benches, trash receptacles, etc...), facility preventative maintenance/upkeep, and rehabilitation and repair of capital assets to maximize useful life.
- The FTA Section 5339 grant funding is listed in the FDOT STIP, Item No. 4345172. To meet grant requirements, a 20% local share is required for capital projects. Currently, Transit Division Staff is coordinating with the FDOT in Transportation Development Credits in the amount of *$99,872 to be used for the 20% local match for this grant application *(1.25 x $399,487=$499,359-$399,487=$99,872).
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please provide a copy of the minutes and Resolution 17-085 to Edrick Sweeting, Grants Administrator, Public Works Department, Transit Division, 941-708-7450 Ext 7351, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
435-0012000 Transit Operating $500,000; FY17 Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grants Funds $3,998,891; FY17 Section 5539 Bus & Bus Facilities Formula Grant $399,487.
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: FTA FY 2017 Apportionment Table-5307 Table 3.pdf
Attachment: FTA FY 2017 Apportionment Table-5339 Table 12.pdf
Attachment: TD Resolution R-17-085.pdf