|January 8, 2013 Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #21
Approval of Transmittal to the Peace River/Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority of Water Supply Projections and Future Water Supply Needs from the Authority
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Mark Simpson, Water Division Manager, x-5258
Approval of letter to the Peace River Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority with revised water supply demands and supply needs from sources developed by the PRMRWSA beginning in the year 2034.
Comprehensive Plan establishes policies for continued coordination with the Peace River/Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority. The Amended Interlocal Agreement creating the PRMRWSA established the County Policy to expect future water supply be coordinated with the Authority. This policy has been reaffirmed by the establishment of the Water Planning Alliance by Resolution R-01-183, and the Master Water Supply Contract (October 2005).
- 2/82 – BOCC approved and executed the Interlocal Agreement creating the Peace River/Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority (PRMRWSA).
- 2/84 - Revised Interlocal Agreement was approved and executed by the BOCC
- 5/91 – The BOCC approved and executed the amended Interlocal Agreement creating the PRMRWSA, the Acquisition Agreement, and the Peace River Water Supply Contract.
- 8/14/01 - The BOCC approves Resolution R-01-183 setting forth terms and conditions for establishing the Water Planning Alliance and providing for Manatee County’s voluntary participation in the Water Planning Alliance.
- 8/31/04 – The BOCC conducts a workshop on the Update to the Manatee County Water Supply Plan. This Plan required additional capacity to be incrementally added in 2010, 2014, and 2018. The opportunity for a regional alternative supply source should be available in either 2014 or 2018.
- 9/20/05 - The BOCC approved the Master Water Supply Contract with the PRMRWSA which stipulates in Section 11 that each party requesting future water supply from the PRMRWSA must annually submit by January 15th the party’s projected water demands for the next 20 years.
- On February 2, 2006 Utility Operations staff received revised population projections and estimated water needs from Manatee County Planning Staff. These new projections and demands were significantly increased from previous years and substantially increased the need for additional water supply for the planning horizon 2005 – 2030.
- On April 20, 2006 the BOCC approved submittal of projected demands and proposed schedule for Water Supply Development showing the PRMSRWSA delivering 5 mgd beginning in 2014 with deliveries potentially increasing to 20 mgd by 2030.
- On January 12, 2007 Manatee County Planning Department staff provided revised population and water demand projections based on recent development activity including the significant building slow down in 2006. These revised projections are very close to BEBR high projections.
- The 2007 population projections and estimated water demands resulted in a reduced development schedule and delay in the need for additional supply from the Authority from 2014 until 2017 and reduced overall potential need to 10 mgd between 2017 and 2030.
- Annual population and water demand projections provided by the Manatee County Planning staff in November 2008 and December 2009 reflected a prolonged effect of the economic situation resulting in further reductions in population growth and the subsequent need for additional supply.
- On January 13, 2011 Manatee County Planning staff provided updated population and water demand projections reflecting population growth and need for additional supply essentially unchanged from those projected in 2009.
- On December 20, 2011 Manatee County Planning staff provided updated population projections reflecting adjustments due to the inclusion of the 2010 census data. This resulted in a decrease of projected water demand of approximately 3 MGD per year, which further shifts the need for further water supply development or potential need of supply from the PRMRWSA until 2034.
- On December 7, 2012 Manatee County Planning Staff provided updated population projections which result in essentially unchanged (0.5%) demand projections through 2035. Water supply development or potential need of supply from the PRMRWSA will not occur until 2034.
The 2012 population projections and estimated water demands, result in essentially an unchanged schedule for the implementation of water supply options or the need for additional supply from the Peace River/Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority from those presented last year. This implementation schedule includes the implementation of additional supply of 5 mgd from the PRMRWSA in 2034. Dependent upon the results of the upcoming Minimum Flow determination for the Manatee River by the Southwest Florida Water Management District and the impending recovery strategy, the need for additional supply from the PRMRWSA may be accelerated. It is expected that the annual review of population and demand projections will allow sufficient time to adjust any implementation schedule for additional supply to offset that lost through the implementation of a Minimum Flow schedule.
The current 2013 submittal to the PRMRWSA will reflect current projections and estimated water demands, with notice that Minimum Flow results may affect future supply needs which may be reflected as early as our submittal for next year (2014).
Approval of the transmittal letter with the present Water Demand Projections and Water Development Schedule to the PRMRWSA for their planning purposes is requested.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (Utilizes exact document or procedure approved within the last 18 months)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please mail signed letter w/attachments to the PRMRWSA and provide electronic .pdf copy to Mark Simpson at email@example.com
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
401.0009400, Water Treatment Plant, Utility Rates
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Annual, to be determined