|January 5, 2016 - Work Session|
Agenda Item #1
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Lisa Barrett, Planning Manager, 941-748-4501 ext. 6884
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
No action required; report to Board of County Commissioners.
- As the County has looked at updating its land development regulations, the need to promote infill and redevelopment in Southwest County has become increasingly important. Current policies and standards contained in the regulations do not accommodate the needs of the older and established areas within the Urban Core. The existing regulations prescribe "suburban" types of uses and development standards, making infill, development, and redevelopment in this area more difficult and expensive than undeveloped areas of the County. Projects within the Urban Core typically require the waiving of numerous LDC requirements (i.e., setbacks, parking, minimum lot sizes, landscaping, etc.) just to be consistent with existing structures.
- Manatee County hired Littlejohn Planning Consultants to review the existing regulations and make recommendations to remove the barriers for development within Southwest County, specifically along the major corridors within the Urban Core, including: Manatee Avenue West, Cortez Road West, 53rd Avenue West/SR 70, 14th Street West/US 41, 15th Street East, and 1st Street (recently added).
- The purpose of the proposed changes is to provide for: 1.) Quality infill and redevelopment, 2.) Efficient infrastructure, 3.) Predictability, 4.) Economic development, 5.) Protection of established neighborhoods, and 6.) Government efficiency.
- To date, Littlejohn has gathered public input through stakeholders meetings and workshops, assessed the current regulations, and has provided recommended changes.
- At the January 5, 2016, workshop, Littlejohn will provide their assessment and highlight the proposed changes to the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Urban Corridors - Slide Presentation.pdf
Attachment: Follow Up Memo - Urban Corridors.pdf