|January 29, 2013 Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #34
Historical Commission Appointments
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Janice Dunbar-Smith x3451
Elaine Maholtz x3485
Confirmation and appointment of seven members (Pamela S. Blalock, Wylene Graham, James A. Reger, Kara Schiavone, Hinning Bolanos, Bridgette Halliburton, Barbara King) to the Manatee County Historical Commission as nominated by the Manatee County Historical Commission.
Ordinance 82-15, Establishing the Historical Commission, later codified as Section 2-2-76.
R-92-288, Establishing uniform policies for Advisory Boards.
- Pursuant to Ordinance 82-15, later codified as section 2-2-76, which established the Historical Commission, members shall be nominated by the Historical Commission and confirmed and appointed by the Manatee County Board of County Commissioners (BCC). The purpose of the Historical Commission is to collect, read, and preserve historical material related to Manatee County.
- On January 1, 2013, the terms of four members on the Historical Commission will expire. The unexpired terms of three seats were also vacated during calendar year 2012.
- A nominating committee of the Historical Commission made the following recommendations which were approved by the Historical Commission. These recommendations are subject to BCC confirmation.
- Pamela S. Blalock; Wylene Graham; James A. Reger; Kara Schiavone; Hinning Bolanos; Bridgette Halliburton; Barbara King.
- The nominating committee considers persons active within the commission, but there is no formal application process for membership on the commission. One application was received by the County from a person interested in appointment, and forwarded to the commission.
- The term of office for Pamela Blalock, Wylene Graham, James Reger and Kara Schiavone will begin January 1, 2013, and will end January 1, 2017, as dictated by Section 2-2-76. As unexpired terms, the term of office for Hinning Bolanas will expire January 1, 2014; for Bridgette Halliburton January 1, 2015; and for Barbara King January 1, 2016. Summary information is noted below.
- Pamela Blalock: Life member of Entre Nous Service Club and has served on the Palma Sola Botanical Park Board, and volunteered her time at the South Florida Museum.
- Wylene Graham: Served as Past President of the Manatee County Historical Society, and is a member of the Manatee County Medical Society Auxiliary.
- James Reger: President of the Manatee Genealogical Society, with experience and knowledge in restoring historical buildings.
- Kara Schiavone: President elect of the Manatee County Junior League, a past participant in the Manatee County History Fair and recently served as a History Fair judge.
- Hinning Bolanos: Local entrepreneur who volunteers with the local Republican and Toastmasters Clubs. Mr. Bolanos has a keen interest in preserving history as a vital part of our community development.
- Bridgette Halliburton: Fourth generation Manatee County resident, currently employed by the American Red Cross and has served as an AmeriCorps-Vista Project leader.
- Barbara King: Previously served two terms on the commission, having held the offices of Secretary and Treasurer. Ms. King volunteers in the gift shop and is active in educational programs and special events at the Historical Park.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Historical Commission Appointments.pdf