|February 6, 2014 Land Use Meeting|
Agenda Item #7
PDR-13-34(Z)(P) - Fountail Lake Apartments, LLC/Fountain Lake - DTS20130327 - Quasi-Judicial - Rossina Leider - Continued from January 9, 2014
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
941-748-4501 ext. 6859
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDR-13-34(Z)(P); APPROVE the Preliminary Site Plan with Stipulations A.1-A.3, B.1-B.2, C.1-C.2, D.1, and E.1-E.4; MAKING Specific Findings that the proposed buildings exceeding 35 feet in height are consistent with Section 603.7.4.9 of the Land Development Code; GRANT Special Approval for a project: 1) exceeding gross density of 9 dwelling units per acres in the RES-16 Future Land Use Category and 2) exceeding net density of 12 dwelling units per acre in the RES-16 Future Land Use Category; ADOPT the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANT Specific Approval of alternatives to Sections 714.8.7, 603.7.4.5 and 715.3.2 of the Land Development Code, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Land Development Code
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
• The ±5.07 acre vacant site is located 800 feet north of 57th Avenue West and 1,300 feet east of the US 41. The site does not have direct frontage along a roadway, and to the west is adjacent to an existing multi-family development (Fountain Lake Apartments) which fronts 57th Avenue West.
• The site is zoned RMF-9 (Residential Multi-Family, 9 dwelling units per acre), and within the RES-16 (Residential – 16 dwelling units per acre). It is in the Urban Core of the County, and part of the “South County Community Redevelopment Area” (CRA) and the Transportation Concurrency Exception Area (TCEA).
• Site lies in Zone X per FIRM Panel 120153 0329C (revised 7/15/92). There are no wetlands on site, or/and species considered threatened or endangered.
• The current request is to rezone the property from RMF-9 (Residential Multi-Family, 9 dwelling units per acre) to PDR (Planned Development Residential), and approve a Preliminary Site Plan for a maximum of 80 multifamily units.
• The project is designed as an expansion to the existing Fountain Lake Apartments (f.k.a. Fountain Lake Condominium) approved in 1983 and built with a total of 202 units. Both developments will share the existing and proposed facilities as, for example, the stormwater pond, recreational areas, internal driveways, and access points, as both properties are under the same ownership.
• The Preliminary Site Plan proposes:
- Two access points onto 57th Avenue West thru the existing Fountain Lake Apartments:
o One new access point via a 20-foot wide driveway, that runs parallel to the west property boundary of the existing Fountain Lake Apartments in a south-north direction, from the 57th Avenue West to the site, and
o One existing access point via a ±24-foot wide driveway that connects the southeast corner of the site with the existing Fountain Lake Apartments, providing access to 57th Avenue West at the southeast corner of the existing residential complex.
- Two buildings with a maximum height of 41 feet (3-stories). Specific Findings have been making to indicate that the proposed buildings exceeding 35 feet in height are consistent with Section 603.7.4.9 of the Land Development Code.
- Gross and net density of 15.78 and 18.5 dwelling units per acre, respectively.
- 1.71 acres of open space (33.7% of the total site).
- 15-foot wide greenbelt landscape buffer along the north and west property boundaries to screen the project from the adjacent properties (residential multi-family development and stormwater facilities of a commercial site, respectively). No screening buffer is proposed along the east property line since the design proposes to integrate the project with the existing multi-family complex. To the south, there is a stormwater facility which is part of the existing apartment complex and no buffer is required.
- 0.15 acres of recreational area that includes two landscaped squares with fountains as focal points.
- Stormwater management facility, already installed on the adjacent parcel of the south of the site.
- Parking areas are provided in accordance with LDC regulations (2 parking spaces per unit, and 1 guest parking for every 10 units) for a total of 173 parking spaces including 42 garage spaces in seven structures.
• Special approval is required for a project with:
- Gross density exceeding 9 dwelling units per acre in the RES-16 FLUC.
- Net density exceeding 12 dwelling units per acre in the RES-16 FLUC.
• The applicant requests Specific Approval to:
- Reduced replacement tree sizes (LDC Section 714.8.7)
- Eliminate required greenbelt buffer along east property boundary (LDC Sections 603.7.4.5 and 715.3.2).
• Staff supports all requested Specific Approvals. Staff recommends approval of this request, with stipulations.
• On December 12, 2013, by a vote of 7 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval.
• A summary of the public comment is in the staff report attached to this memo.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
William Clague review and responded by email.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document to email@example.com
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Maps - Future Land Use, Zoning and Aerial - Fountain Lakes - PDR-13-34(Z)(P) - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Staff Report - Fountain Lakes - PDR-13-34(Z)(P) - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Zoning Disclosure Affidavit - Fountain Lakes - PDR-13-34(Z)(P) - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Specific Approval Request - Fountain Lakes - PDR-13-34(Z)(P) - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Traffic Impact Analysis - Fountain Lakes - PDR-13-34(Z)(P) - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Building Elevations - Fountain Lakes - PDR-13-34(Z)(P) - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Fountain Lakes - PDR-13-34(Z)(P) - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance - Fountain Lakes - PDR-13-34(Z)(P) - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Site Plan - Fountain Lakes - PDR-13-34(Z)(P) - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Slideshow - Planner - Fountain Lakes - PDR-13-34(Z)(P) - 2-6-14 BC.pdf