|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - February 25, 2014|
Agenda Item #30
PA-14-01/Ordinance 14-07 - Plan Amendment CRA/TCEA - Legislative - Kathleen Thompson, AICP
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Kathleen Thompson, AICP
Based upon the evidence presented, comments made at the public hearing, the technical support documents, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be consistent with the Community Planning Act, as codified in applicable portions of Chapter 163, Part II, Florida Statutes, and the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, I move to Transmit Plan Amendment PA-14-01, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• One of the recommendations made by the Urban Land Institute (ULI) was that in order to promote successful economic growth there was a need for a greater focus on redevelopment and new development in the southwest quadrant of the County.
• Homes and businesses in the southwest part of the County have aged and the area has lagged behind other areas of the County in terms of growth and development.
• To encourage economic development with a funding source in the southwest area, Manatee County is proposing to create the Southwest Tax Increment Financing (TIF) district under home rule authority.
• The Board of County Commissioners has established two community redevelopment areas (South County CRA and 14th Street West CRA) pursuant to Chapter 163, Part III, Florida Statutes. The existing community redevelopment areas encompass property located within the Southwest TIF district.
• On January 7, 2014, the Board of County Commissioners made a policy decision to proceed with the creation of the Southwest TIF district and to dissolve both community redevelopment areas.
• The first step in eliminating the community redevelopment areas involves terminating the community redevelopment plans. This process requires review by the Manatee County Planning Commission (as the local planning agency) for conformity with the County’s comprehensive plan.
• The provisions of the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan that refer to the community redevelopment areas must be repealed before any changes to the community redevelopment plans are considered.
• Manatee County intends to pursue an alternative concurrency and multi-modal approach for transportation throughout the new Southwest TIF district, the Urban Core, as well as the Urban Infill Redevelopment Area (UIRA) located in North County. These changes will be proposed in the future as County initiated amendments to the Comprehensive Plan.
• On February 13, 2014, by a vote of 7 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Maureen Sikora reviewed and responded.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a signed document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - PA-14-01 - Ord. 14-07 - CRA TCEA Plan Amendment for 2-25-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: FLU Map Series Index Feb2014.pdf
Attachment: Map I - TCEA.pdf
Attachment: Map J - TCEA.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - PA-14-01 Ord. 14-07 - CRA-TCEA Plan Amendment 2-25-14 BC.pdf