|February 24, 2015 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #21
Barge Loading Dock Facility - Memorandum of Agreement
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Charlie Hunsicker, Director, Parks and Natural Resources, ext. 6001
Authorization for the Chairman to sign the Memorandum of Agreement between the Board of County Commissioners and the City of Bradenton Beach.
Florida Statute 125
- On February 3, 1987, the Board of County Commissioners executed the attached Interlocal Agreement with the City of Bradenton Beach stipulating certain parameters of use of a County owned barge loading facility located on Anna Maria Island at Longboat Pass in the City of Bradenton Beach. The agreement was executed to govern the use and operation of the barge loading facility limiting its use to serve the construction needs for offshore artificial reefs. At the time of the agreement, and it's two subsequent amendments, artificial reef construction was the only use anticipated by Manatee County.
- Marine contractor utilization of the barge loading facility is a necessary component of the Cortez Beach Groin Replacement Project being conducted by the COUNTY.
- Strict adherence to the existing Interlocal Agreement does not permit these operations or construction requests and would require a substantial re-write and approval of the Interlocal Agreement by both parties to accommodate construction. The County's request to access the barge loading facility for the purpose of the groin replacement project has become very time sensitive as construction contracts have been awarded which anticipate the use of the barge loading facility for operations. Any subsequent delay could result in substantial additional costs to the County.
- In the essence of time, the County Attorney has advised that a Memorandum of Agreement executed by Manatee County and the City of Bradenton Beach could be utilized to allow the time sensitive Cortez Beach Groin Replacement Project to utilize the barge loading facility in a timely manner and in the public interest. A Memorandum of Agreement has been drafted by staff for Board approval and is attached.
- In the past, Manatee County, the State of Florida FDOT, government contractors and municipalities, and private contractors have used the barge loading facility for purposes beyond construction of artificial reefs, including activities supporting maintenance dredging of area passes and inlets, heavy marine construction, construction of erosion control groins and piers and other uses.
- Recent requests have highlighted that the current Interlocal Agreement needs to be substantially re-worked to contemplate such uses and provide for general administrative control of the facility by the Board of County Commissioners. Over the summer, staff will coordinate with the City of Bradenton Beach and the County Attorney's Office to provide a new Interlocal Agreement to improve the flexibility of use of the facility by other government jurisdictions and contractors.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Informal consultation with Attorney James Cooney for guidance on the form for Memorandum of Agreement.
Instructions to Board Records
Please send two original, executed agreements to Kay Rogers, Parks and Natural Resources, for transmittal to the City of Bradenton Beach.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: 1987 Interlocal Agreement.pdf
Attachment: Agreement with City of Bradenton Beach.pdf