|February 11, 2014 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #14
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Brenda G. Rogers, Director, ext 3489
Approve letters of appreciation to be sent by the Chairman on behalf of the Manatee County Commission.
- In Florida, the Citrus Industry generates an estimated $9 billion in economic activity and employs 76,000 people. Manatee County ranks #9 in the state in citrus acreage with 18,300 acres and over 2.368 million trees.
- Citrus greening attacks the vascular system of citrus trees damaging the fruit and potentially killing the tree. It first appeared in Miami-Dade County in 2005 and has subsequently spread to 37 Florida Counties and now affects citrus production in 9 states. This disease threatens a large piece of Manatee County's $183.6 million agriculture industry.
- In February 2013, Congressman Buchanan introduced and championed H.R. 853, the Citrus Disease Research Act, to combat citrus greening by funding essential research.
- Senator Nelson co-sponsored the corresponding Senate Bill 220, the Citrus Disease Research Act, secured support through the co-sponsorship of Senators Boxer and Feinstein, and supported the Florida Agriculture industry.
- It is appropriate that the Board acknowledge with gratitude this important legislation and the efforts of Congressman Buchanan and Senator Nelson on behalf of the residents in Florida, District 16, and in particular those who reside in Manatee County.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Return original signed letters to Brenda Rogers, Director, Community Services.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: BuchananFarm Bill thanks2.11.14.pdf
Attachment: NelsonFarm Bill thanks2.11.14.pdf