|Manatee County Government Administrative Building First Floor, Chambers December 3, 2015 - 9:00 a.m.|
Agenda Item #12
PA-15-01/Ordinance 15-31 - SMR Plan Amendment Adoption - Legislative - Kathleen Thompson
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Kathleen Thompson, AICP, Planning Manager,
941-748-4501 ext. 6841
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Based upon the evidence presented, comments made at the public hearing, the technical support documents, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be consistent with the Community Planning Act, as codified in applicable portions of Chapter 163, Part II, Florida Statutes, and the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, I move to ADOPT Plan Amendment PA-15-01/Ordinance 15-31.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• The Florida Department of Community Affairs (now known as The Department of Economic Opportunity) required specific development conditions be adopted within the text amendment for compliance with Rule 9J-5.
• The purpose for such language was to achieve the appropriate “jobs to housing” balance. Specific language was created to identify the maximum development totals for the property.
• Section 9J-5 of the Florida Administrative Code has now been repealed and amendments are no longer subject to those rules.
• The language (D.5.6) created an artificial timing linkage between the creation of jobs and housing which does not allow the development of land uses to respond to the market.
• There are 6,500+ acres of SMR land designated with the Mixed Use-Community and associated sub areas that will ensure development with a mixture of land uses.
• Staff recommends removing the minimum square footage requirement for industrial development and the removal of the number of housing units to square footage of non-residential development requirement.
• The Planning Commission voted on 09/10/15 to forward amendment request to the Board of County Commissioners for transmittal.
• The Board of County Commissioners voted on 10/01/15 to transmit the amendment to the State Department of Economic Affairs for review.
• The amendment is scheduled for the Board of County Commissioners adoption on December 3, 2015.
• Staff recommends approval.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email on September 9, 2015.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the signed document to firstname.lastname@example.org for distribution to the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - PA-15-01 - Ordinance 15-31 - SMR Plan Amendment - 12-3-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Application Package - Attach 2 - SMR Plan Amendment - PA-15-01 - 12-3-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Supplemental Document - PA-15-01 - SMR Plan Amendment - 12-3-15 BCC.pdf
Attachment: Agency Comments - PA-15-01 - Ordinance 15-31 - SMR Plan Amendment Adoption - 12-3-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Affidavit of Publishing - SMR Plan Amendment - PA-15-01 - Ord. 15-31 - Sarasota Herald Tribune - 12-3-15 BCC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - SMR Plan Amendment - PA-15-02 - Ord. 15-31 - Bradenton Herald - 12-3-15 BC.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance 15-31 - PA-15-01 - SMR Plan Amendment -12-3-15 BCC.pdf