|December 10, 2019 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #57
Capital and Operating Assistance Grant Applications for Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities Program Funding
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William Steele, Transit Division Manager, William.Steele@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x 7440
Ryan Suarez, Transit Planning Manager, Ryan.Suarez@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 X 7622
Adoption of Resolution R-19-169 authorizing: 1. The submittal of capital and operating assistance grant applications to the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) for Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 funding; 2. The Public Works Director to execute grant funding agreements for FTA Section 5310 capital and/or operating assistance approved funding; and 3. The Transit Division Manager to submit documentation required in connection with the grant application and or subsequent grant agreements.
Chapter 341, Florida Statutes; Rule 41-2, Florida Administrative Code; Manatee County Transit Development Plan (TDP), 2018 Major Update
- The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 Formula Grant Program is an FTA program which provides funding to support transportation service to meet the special needs of the elderly and persons with disabilities.
- The 5310 grant program is one funding source with two separate applications required for capital and operating assistance. Thus, this agenda item includes two (2) FTA Section 5310 grant applications, one for capital and one for operating assistance.
- The FTA Section 5310 grant funding is used by Manatee County Government to support MCAT Paratransit (i.e. Handy Bus) service capital and operational expenditures. The FDOT serves as the "Designated Recipient" for the FTA Section 5310 Program and eligible applicants must apply to the FDOT for FTA Section 5310 program funding by December 31st each year.
- The FTA 5310 grant program is competitive and grant awards are not guaranteed. The program is focused on capital equipment needs first and any operational funding is secondary. Any grant funding award will benefit Manatee County Government by helping to pay for recurring capital and operating expenses that are critical for Paratransit (i.e. Handy Bus) operations.
- The FY 2020 capital assistance application is a request for three (3) Paratransit/Handy Bus vehicles to replace existing vehicles which are reaching the end of their useful life. The FTA Section 5310 grant application requirements stipulate that vehicle replacement eligibility is based upon the anticipated delivery date for equipment purchased with a potential grant award.
- As part of the capital grant application, Manatee County Government is also applying for FTA Section 5310 funding for Preventative Maintenance (PM) expenses. These PM activities include routine, scheduled maintenance functions that ensure fleet functionality. These efforts help prevent unscheduled vehicle downtime and more expensive costs due to unanticipated equipment failure.
- The total capital cost in the grant application is $687,368 ($337,367 for capital equipment and $350,000 for preventative maintenance expenses) which reflects a cost sharing comprised of $549,894 in FTA funding (80%); FDOT, $68,737 (10%); and Manatee County Government, $68,737 (10%).
- The ability to utilize FTA Section 5310 funding for PM expenses provides a strategic opportunity to free-up FTA Section 5307 funding for capital needs; and the FTA Section 5307 formula program is where PM expenses for the entire Transit Division fleet (i.e., Transit/Trolley and Para Transit) are typically incurred.
- The FY 2020 Section 5310 operating assistance application is a request for operational assistance funding with a total value of $900,000 to support Paratransit/Handy Bus service provision. The total dollar value reflects a cost sharing with the FTA of $450,000 (50%) and a local share requirement of $450,000 (50%). The local funding budgeted each year for Paratransit operations is used for the local match; and this local funding is used for in-kind eligible operating expenditures (i.e. Paratransit Operator salaries).
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Provide four (4) certified copies of Resolution 19-169 and two (2) original signed copies of each grant application to Edrick Sweeting, Grants Administrator, Edrick.Sweeting@mymanatee.org. Ext 7354.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
435-0012100 Paratransit Operating
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Resolution R-19-169 5310 Application FFY20.pdf
Attachment: Section 5310 Application SFY2021_Capital and PM.pdf
Attachment: Section 5310 Application SFY2021_Operating.pdf