|August 13, 2013 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #26
Ordinance No. 13-22 - Relating to Local Certificates of Competency for Garage Door Speciality Contractors
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
941-748-4501 ext. 3887
Assistant County Attorney
941-748-4501 ext. 3750
Motion to adopt Ordinance 13-22
Chapter 489, Part I, Florida Statutes
Chapter 2-6, Article V, Manatee County Code of Ordinances
Attached is a copy of Ordinance No. 13-22 relating to contractor licensing. This ordinance creates Section 2-6-101 of the Manatee County Code of Ordinances to provide for local certificates of competency for garage door specialty contractors effective October 1, 2013. The ordinance contains the following provisions:
- Garage door specialty contractor is defined as a contractor whose services are limited to garage doors, garage door assemblies, including hardware and operating devices, and wood work incidental to garage doors and allied construction materials. Such contractors shall not perform any work that alters the structural integrity of the building, including roof trusses, lintels, load bearing walls and foundations.
- The scope of work for a garage door specialty contractor includes low voltage electrical wiring for safety features and cord and cap connected to garage door assemblies, devices, motors and equipment. Any other electrical work must be contracted to a licensed electrical contractor and all work involving other construction trades must be subcontracted to a licensed qualified contractor in the appropriate field.
- The requirements for local certificates of competency apply to garage door specialty contractors performing work in unincorporated Manatee County.
- A person must apply to the Manatee County Construction Trades Board for a local certificate of competency as a garage door specialty contractor.
- A person who applies for a local certificate of competency as a garage door specialty contractor must comply with the requirements for contractors established in Section 2-6-73 of the Manatee County Code of Ordinances.
- A person shall be exempt from the examination requirements if such person obtained a local certificate of competency as a garage door specialty contractor from another county or municipality on or before October 1, 2013, and such person was doing business as a garage door specialty contractor in Manatee County on or before October 1, 2013. A person who qualifies for exemption from examination is not required to provide written verification of experience in the construction trade or evidence of examination scores.
- A person who does not qualify for exemption from examination must provide written verification of two (2) years of experience in the construction trade. Such person must also receive a minimum score of 75% on the garage door specialty examination and the business and law examination administered by a nationally recognized testing service.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Ordinance No. 13-22 prepared by CAO
Agenda Memorandum drafted by CAO
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: contractor licensing. garage doors. ordinance. final. revised.pdf
Attachment: Ord 13-22 - Newspaper Ad.pdf