|Manatee County Government Administrative Building 1112 Manatee Avenue West, 1st Floor Chambers April 2, 2015 - 9:00 a.m.|
Agenda Item #8
Ordinance 15-10 - Property Maintenance and Structural Standards - John Barnott - C.J. Dupre
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
John Barnott, Director, Building and Development Services Department - 941-748-4501 ext. 3887
C.J. Dupre, Building Official - 941-748-4501 ext. 3072
Maureen Sikora, Assistant County Attorney - 941-748-4501 ext. 3750
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator
941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Motion to approved Ordinance No. 15-10.
Section 125.01, Florida Statutes
On January 27, 2015, the Board of County Commissioners held a public hearing to consider Ordinance No. 15-10. The Board reviewed the ordinance and received public comments but took no action at that meeting. Commissioners agreed to hold a work session and provide comments regarding the ordinance to Building and Development Services Department staff.
On March 3, 2015, the Board of County Commissioners held a work session to discuss Ordinance No. 15-10. The Board provided direction to staff on issues such as boats on residential premises, clotheslines in front yards, and motor vehicle service and repair work on residential property. The County Attorney's Office revised Ordinance No. 15-10 to incorporate comments and address concerns raised at the work session.
The following modifications have been made to Ordinance No. 15-10:
• References to the Manatee County Code of Ordinances have been changed from Chapter 2-37 to Sections 2-9-101 through 2-9-109 in the title and text.
• The description of responsible person has been removed from the sections relating to general provisions and property maintenance standards.
• New definitions have been inserted.
• Graffiti has been listed under the definition of nuisance condition.
• Requirements relating to the person performing work and the length of time to complete work have been deleted from the regulation of motor vehicle service or repair work on residential property.
• Requirements for fences and barriers to comply with the building code have been moved from the heading under swimming pools, hot tubs and spas to the subsection entitled barriers.
• The types of portable storage containers have been expanded under the regulation of storage structures or buildings.
• A new provision has been added to prohibit motor vehicles or vehicles from stopping, parking or encroaching on sidewalks.
• Applicable sections of the Manatee County Code of Ordinances have been included in the enforcement section.
• Minor typographical corrections have been made in the text.
Attached are two copies of amended Ordinance No. 15-10 which has been noticed for public hearing at the meeting on April 2, 2015. The marked-up version contains blue text to show new language and blue strike-through to show deleted language from the ordinance presented at the work session. The clean version contains the same provisions without the blue text and blue strike-through.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Ordinance prepared by CAO (MSS)
Agenda Memorandum drafted by CAO (MSS)
Instructions to Board Records
File copy of Ordinance No. 15-10 with State of Florida Department of State.
Send copy of Ordinance 15-10 to Municipal Code Corporation.
Copy of executed document with letter from the Florida Department of State to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Property Maintenance Ordinance No 15-10 final clean.pdf
Attachment: Property Maintenance Ordinance No 15-10 final markup.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Ordinance 15-10 - Property Maintenance Code - Sarasota Herald - 4-2-15.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Property Maintenance Code - Bradenton Herald - 4-2-15 BC.pdf