Groundwater Program FAQs

Answers to frequently asked questions on the groundwater program.

  • 1. What records are available for public viewing?

    The Groundwater Management Section keeps Pollutant Storage Tank (PST) and Small Quantity Generator (SQG) facility files, complaint investigation reports, and historic water well permits. To research other potential sources of contamination (such as hazardous waste, landfills, etc.) you should consult with a private consulting firm as listed above or contact the FDEP Southwest District Office.

  • 2. How can I gain access to those public records?

    For SQG and PST files, the DEP facility ID# is required. A Section-Township-Range is required for general complaints and water well permits. Call our office at 742-5980 with this information to schedule an appointment during normal county hours. During your file review in our office, our staff can make up to 10 copies at our copier for no charge, and any additional copies at $0.15 per copy. Our staff will collect fees for any copies you make, so you do not need exact change but small bills are appreciated. A paid receipt will be issued to you for the number of copies made.

  • 3. How can I find out if my property is contaminated?


    In order to meet your “due diligence” requirement prior to a property purchase, you may wish to hire a private consulting firm to conduct a “Phase I Environmental Site Assessment” (ESA) to determine if potential impacts to your property exist.  ESA’s are strongly recommended for commercial property transfers.

    To determine if your property is listed on a State petroleum storage database you can look up the facility on-line using the Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s (FDEP) Storage Tank/Contaminated Sites (STCM) database at


  • 4. How can I find out if there are any petroleum sites near my property?

    If you know the property’s latitude and longitude, you can search for your property and any surrounding properties using the FDEP radius search database at  Latitude/Longitude data can be obtained using USGS topographic maps or GPS units.

  • 5. Are petroleum cleanup documents available on line?

    Yes. If you know of a petroleum facility’s FDEP Facility ID number, you can go on the state OCULUS document search database at to review petroleum cleanup and recent (after approx. April 2006) compliance files. To search OCULUS you will need the facility name or seven digit FDEP Facility ID number excluding the two digit county code (i.e. 41 for Manatee County).