|REVISED June 6, 2013 Land Use Meeting|
Agenda Item #10
Plan Amendment 13-05 - Urban Service Area - Legislative - John Osborne
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Kathleen Thompson, AICP
941-748-4501 ext. 6841
John Osborne, AICP
Planning and Zoning Official
941-748-4501 ext. 6825
Based upon the evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the technical support documents, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Community Planning Act as codified in applicable portions of Chapter 163, Part II, Florida Statutes and the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, I move to TRANSMIT Plan Amendment PA-13-05, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
- In 2009, the Legislature defined areas known as Dense Urban Land Areas (DULAs), based upon population and the density of such population within a certain geographic area. DULA’s were granted an exemption from the DRI process.
- Manatee County does not currently meet DULA criteria; however, certain municipalities within Manatee County do meet them.
- In 2011, the Legislature provided a definition within F.S. 163.3164 of an “Urban Service Area”. These areas are determined by the local government and recognize the location of existing public facilities and services.
- The Legislature created a specific exemption from the DRI process for such areas (Urban Service Area) under F.S. 380.06(29)(c). This allows development to be reviewed and processed through the local government within the parameters of its local land use regulations.
- This amendment establishes a definition of the “Urban Service Area”, creates policies within the Future Land Use Element and introduces a map to the Future Land Use Map series to illustrate the area to be identified.
- Development within the Urban Service Area is to be reviewed against all policies of the Plan for consistency.
- The establishment of this area does not create any exemptions to any County regulations nor does it establish any future entitlement to development.
- The purpose for creating the area is for consistency with Florida Statues to properly establish an area that would qualify under the 380.06 (29) exemption section for DRI’s.
- Staff is recommending an Urban Service Area (USA) be established in the unincorporated area of Manatee County south of Manatee River and west of US 301.
- Staff recommends approval.
- On May 9, 2013, by a vote of 7 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval.
- A summary of public comments from the May 9, 2013 Planning Commission public hearing is in the staff report attached to this memo.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Written Comments available from Sarah Schenk.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward original letter to Bobbi Roy / Building and Development Services Department.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - Urban Service Area Text Amendment - PA-13-05 - Ord. 13-13 - 6-6-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Attach 3 to staff report Future Land Use Map Series - Urban Service Area - PA-13-05 - 6-6-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Urban Service Area - PA-13-05 - 6-6-13 BC.pdf