|REVISED September 10, 2013 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #48
FDEP Longboat Key Inlet Management Plan
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Charlie Hunsicker, Director, Natural Resources X4601
Adoption of Resolution R-13-174 authorizing the filing of a local long range budget plan for the Longboat Inlet Management Plan to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
Florida Statute 125
- On July 30, 2013, the Board adopted Resolution R-13-122 supporting a County application for state funding of beach renourishment for Anna Maria Island beaches.
- Manatee County, in coordination with the Town of Longboat Key, has also conducted an Inlet Management Plan for the Longboat Key Pass. The focus was to assess the existing coastal processes of the pass and vicinity to improve the regional sediment management in order to better conserve the sediment resources of the area.
- Adoption of this additional Resolution R-13-174 for the inlet maintenance project is required for the project to be included on the list of proposed projects prepared by FDEP and forwarded to the Florida Legislature for consideration in preparing the FY 2015 state budget. The Town of Longboat Key adopted a similar resolution on September 3, 2013.
- The total preliminary cost estimate for the excavation of Longboat Key Pass is $4.6 million. Mobilization cost is estimated at $1.75 million. Assuming a round number of 400,000 cubic yards can be excavated, at $7/cubic yard, the cost of excavation is $2.8 million. Tilling costs are estimated at $50,000. FDEP would provide 50% ($2.3 million). Manatee County and the Town of Longboat Key would be required to provide 25% each or $1.15 million. Manatee County and the Town of Longboat Key will request reimbursement of the required local match from WCIND Regional Funds.
- This same resolution was passed last year and the State of Florida has required that we update annually this resolution of support. Updated resolution attached.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward executed Resolution for transmittal to Kay Rogers, Natural Resources, x4602, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Resolution R-13-174 for Sept. 10, 2013.pdf
Attachment: Res 2013-28 LBK Inlet Mgmt Plan.pdf