|Manatee County Government Administrative Building May 4, 2017 - 9:00 am First Floor - Chambers|
Agenda Item #14
LDCT-17-02/Ordinance 17-22 - Land Development Code Text Amendment/Airport Zoning - Legislative - Lisa Barrett, Planning Manager
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Lisa Barrett, Planning Manager, 941-748-4501 ext. 6884
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
I move to continue the public hearing for LDCT-17-02/Ordinance 17-22 - to June 1, 2017 at 9:00 a.m., or as soon thereafter as same may be heard at the Manatee County Government Administrative Building, 1st Floor Chambers.
Manatee County Land Development Code
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
• On March 2, 2017 the Board of County Commission approved Ordinance 17-03, Case Number PA-16-09 providing amendments to the Definitions and Future Land Use Element, Future Land Use Map Series, and Aviation Sub-Element of the Comprehensive Plan.
• In 2016, the Florida Legislature adopted amendments to the Florida Statutes, Chapter 333 – Airport Zoning (House Bill 7061). Chapter 333 addresses Airport Zoning, definitions and land use compatibility standards in and around public use airports (commercial and general aviation). Per the Statute, local governments are required to update their airport zoning standards (regulations) by July 1, 2017.
• As noted by FDOT (Florida Department of Transportation), the significant changes to Chapter 333 include the following:
• The amendments to Chapter 4 – Zoning, specifically Section 403.2 relating to the Airport Impact (AI) Overlay Zoning District and its requirements, are consistent with and based on both the adopted Comprehensive Plan and F.S. 333. As part of this Land Development Code Text Amendments, certain maps are required to be amended to reflect the new nomenclature and airport “surfaces” for areas in/around airports. The airports include the Bradenton-Sarasota International Airport (SRQ), as well as other general aviation airports within and adjacent to Manatee County which includes Airport Manatee (48X) which is also addressed per the updated Chapter 333, F.S.
• On April 13, 2017, by a vote of 4 – 1, the Planning Commission recommended approval. Mr. Bower voted nay stating it is not too much to ask for to let the Commission know exactly what Ordinance is doing. Mr. Conerly abstained and Mr. Rutledge was absent.
• After Planning Commission, the amendment was revised to remove the word “maximum” from Exhibit A-3 preamble, as the term was too ambiguous. The definitions for helistop and heliport were added back in to Exhibit A-1, and Thomson Airfield was removed as the airfield is no longer defined as a public use airport.
• Staff recommends approval of the amendments.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by emails to Matter 2017-0110 on March 21, 22 and 27, 2017.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - LDC Airport Zoning - Ordinance 17-22 BCC .pdf
Attachment: Newspaper Advertising.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance 17-22 - LDCT-17-02 - Airport Overlay Impact BCC.pdf
Attachment: Exhbit A-1 - Section 200 - Definitions BCC .pdf
Attachment: Exhbit A-2 Section 403.2 Strike Thru .pdf
Attachment: Exhibit A-3 Ch4_Zoning_v66_BCC.pdf
Attachment: Public Comment - LDCT-17-02Ord. 17-22 - Airport Overlay LDC Amendment.pdf