|REVISED March 7, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #10
Millennial Con Week 2017 - March 26 - April 1, 2017
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Board of County Commissioners
Colleen McGue, AICP Principal Planner
Sarasota-Manatee Metropolitan Planning Organization
Millennial Con (Mcon)
Chelsea Baker, Librarian I
Neighborhood Services Department
Adopt Proclamation designating March 26 through April 1, 2017, as "Millennial Con Week 2017" in Manatee County, Florida.
The Manatee Millennial Movement (M3) began in 2015 with the goal to get young people more involved in how the county grows in the future.
In its short time of existence, the group has hosted a variety of discussions and events around topics that affect young people in Manatee County. The group has also been recognized on a national scale for their work:
- Millennial Con #4progress 2016
- Co-Sponsored Books, Bots & Bites with Realize Bradenton
- Presented at the Neighborhoods USA conference in Memphis, Tennessee
- M3 Case Study was selected by Alliance for Innovation. Presented the M3 process in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Selected as a Bright Idea recipient which recognizes creative and promising government programs and partnerships (Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation at Harvard Kennedy School).
Cyclovia Bradenton - March 26, 2017 - 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Manatee Millennial Movement has been awarded a $5,000 grant for Cyclovia Bradenton from the Emerging City Champions Program (Knight Foundation and 8 80 Cities).
- The Emerging City Champions is a fellowship program for young civic innovators with transformative ideas. They look for future city leaders with creative solutions that will enhance civic engagement, improve mobility, and activate public life in public spaces.
- Cyclovia Bradenton aims to reclaim the street as an active public space by getting Bradenton citizens out of their cars and into the streets to see how easy and fun it is to walk, bike, skate, skip, or run around our beautiful town.
- Cyclovia Bradenton attendees will have fun while engaging with Open Streets and Complete Streets philosophies, learning about road safety, sharing ideas for multi-modal improvements, and thinking differently about mobility in Manatee County.
- The event will be co-sponsored with the Manatee Millennial Movement, Metropolitan Planning Organization, and State College of Florida.
Millennial Con 2017 - March 30, 2017
- This year will be Manatee Millennial Movement's second year hosting the conference.
- The goal of the conference is to get young people to be proactive rather than reactive to local government decisions
- The conference will be held at the State College of Florida (SCF). In addition to the conference, an intern/job fair will take place as well.
- Partners include SCF, Manatee Young Professionals, Realize Bradenton, Manatee Community Federal Credit Union, and more.
- Session topics are geared to what this demographic may need to be engaged, such as how to get involved in both Manatee & Sarasota, a basic intro to how local government works, placemaking, a housing charrette, and more.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Cyclovia Bradenton.pdf
Attachment: Mcon 2017.pdf
Attachment: Millennial Con Week 2017 Proclamation.pdf