|REVISED March 26, 2013 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #11
Hearing Officer Resolution No. R-13-058
Contact and/or Presenter Information
James A. Minix, X3742
Sarah A. Schenk, X3744
Mary Zuchniewicz, X3772
Motion to adopt Resolution No. R-13-058 providing for the appointment of a County Hearing Officer to conduct public hearings regarding applications for quasi-judicial land use matters as authorized by the Land Development Code.
Section 2-2-109(a), County Code; Section 304.3, Land Development Code.
- The County Attorney’s Office, on behalf of the County, provided for a public notice to be advertised in The Florida Bar news to invite attorneys to apply for Hearing Officer positions to hear certain quasi-judicial land use matters, including application for special permits, variances and other types of development orders. The application period is currently open until March 28, 2013.
- Circumstances have arisen prior to the close of the application period necessitating the appointment of an additional Hearing Officer to hear land use matters due to conflicts of interest or unavailability of Hearing Officers from the existing approved list to hear a particular case.
- The County Attorney’s Office has interviewed and negotiated at a reasonable rate with a qualified attorney with significant Hearing Officer experience, as well as land use background from Sarasota County to act as a Hearing Officer and conduct County administrative hearings on quasi-judicial land use matters as authorized by Sec. 304, Land Development Code.
- It is anticipated by the County Attorney’s Office that upon conclusion of the interview process the County Attorney’s Office will be submitting a complete list of proposed land use Hearing Officers to be provided for approval by adoption of a Resolution by the Board. This new list would supersede and replace the existing list approved by adoption of Resolution No. R-12-200 on September 25, 2012.
- At this juncture, the existing approved list of Hearing Officers adopted by Resolution No. R-12-200 is being supplemented by the additional Hearing Officer described in Resolution No. R-13-058.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
This is a County Attorney item.
Instructions to Board Records
Please return an electronic copy of this approved agenda item with attachments to Mary Zuchniewicz at email@example.com
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Resolution 13-058 and Exhibit A - Hearing Officers.pdf