|REVISED March 22, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #23
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Gopher Tortoise Habitat
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Charlie Hunsicker, Director, Parks and Natural Resources
Acceptance of Purchase Order #ADCD68 from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FFWCC) in the amount of $14,900 for improving gopher tortoise habitat at Rye Preserve, and adoption of Budget Resolution B-16-051 amending the annual budget of Manatee County Florida for FY 2016.
Florida Statute 125
- Manatee County Parks and Natural Resources Department responded in August 2015 to a request for proposals which was sent out to eligible entities including local governments for the Gopher Tortoise Habitat Management Assistance program administered by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
- The Department was notified on October 21, 2015, that we had been selected, on a competitive basis, for the second consecutive year, to receive funds for the management (improvement) of gopher tortoise habitat at Rye Preserve. Purchase Order #ADCD68 in the amount of $14,900 was issued.
- Funds are to be used on approximately 53.5 acres of scrub and flatwood areas within Rye Preserve, improving habitats where gopher tortoises and the Florida scrub-jay live.
- Work entails the removal of selected trees that have grown up in the absence of fire, which have made it more difficult to reintroduce prescribed fire, an essential natural process for the long term maintenance of Gopher Tortoise and Florida Scrub Jay Habitat as well as other protected species. Work will also include the removal of Invasive exotic plants that negatively impact habitat followed by a prescribed fire to be conducted by certified prescribed burn manager on county staff.
- Select trails will be briefly closed for a number of hours but not days. No other facilities or amenities will be impacted and the majority of the preserve will be accessible during all normal visiting hours even while work is progressing. Certain vistas will ultimately be improved allowing visitors to more readily observe the Florida Scrub Jay and Gopher Tortoise.
- The $14,900 award is through a reimbursement program where paid invoices for work completed are submitted and reimbursement is then paid by the state to the County. No matching funds are required.
- Project completion date is May 1, 2016.
- Adoption of Budget Resolution B-16-051 is being requested.
County Attorney Review
Formal Written Review (Opinion memo must be attached)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please send approved agenda to Jayne Roberts, Parks and Natural Resources, Ext. 6028, email@example.com, and to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$14,900 FFWCC Grant
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: RLS Response FFWCC Gopher Tortoise.pdf
Attachment: FWC PURCHASE Order No. ADCD68.pdf
Attachment: B-16-051 FFWCC Gopher Tortoise Habitat.pdf