|REVISED June 6, 2013 Land Use Meeting|
Agenda Item #6
PDMU-07-07(P)(R) - Parrish Plantation - DTS#20120343 - Quasi-Judicial - Katie LaBarr
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Katie LaBarr, AICP
941-748-4501 ext. 6828
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDMU-07-07(P)(R); APPROVE the Preliminary Site Plan with Stipulations #A.1-A.5, B.1-B.3, C.1-C.4, D.1-D.6, E.1-E.13, F.1-F.6, G.1 and H.1; for a project that was previously GRANTED Special Approval for: 1.) a gross density exceeding 1.0 dwelling units per acre in the UF-3 FLUC, 2.) exceeding 30,000 square feet of commercial uses in the UF-3 and RES-6 FLUC's and 3.) a mixed use project; ADOPT the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANT Specific Approval of an alternative to Section 714.8.7 of the Land Development Code regarding tree caliper size, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
- The request is for approval of a revised Preliminary Site Plan for the maximum of 488 residential units (266 single family detached and 222 single family attached units), 116,100 square feet of commercial, and 83,000 square feet of office. The property is currently zoned PDMU.
- This 264.44+ acre site is located on the south side of US 301, at the northwest corner of Old Tampa Road and Chin Road.
- On May 24, 2007, this site was rezoned from General Agriculture/North Central Overlay (A/NCO) to Planned Development Mixed Use, retaining the North Central Overlay. A Preliminary Site Plan was approved for 488 residential units consisting of 266 single family detached, and 222 single family attached units, 86,100 square feet of commercial uses, 53,000 square feet of office, and community service uses consisting of a library and YMCA.
- On November 18, 2008, the Board of County Commissioners approved a Local Development Agreement, providing for the following:
- an extended site plan approval to May 24, 2014,
- the dedication of right-of-way for US 301, SR 62, and Spencer Parrish Road (the applicant waived entitlement to impact fee credits),
- an extended CLOS for residential units and the library was issued with an expiration date of seven years from the date of issuance.
- The applicant had the option of requesting a separate CLOS for any other portion of remaining development components, retaining their place in the Concurrency Reservation System, provided they apply prior to expiration of the first CLOS. The applicant is subject to any conditions that are necessary to ensure no degradation of adopted levels of service for public facilities. The expiration of any subsequent CLOS shall coincide with the expiration date of the first CLOS.
- The CLOS was issued on January 16, 2009, scheduled to expire January 16, 2016. On June 11, 2009, the CLOS was extended for two additional years, pursuant to R-09-089, to January 16, 2018.
- This project was located in the North Central Overlay District and complied with those requirements.
- In November, 2008, the BOCC added the Parrish Commercial Village Overlay District to the LDC.
- The purpose of the PCV Overlay District is to provide an administrative approval process as an incentive for appropriately scaled and compatible commercial development along US 301.
- This property was removed from the NCO and added to the Parrish Commercial Village Overlay District when it was adopted, but is exempted from complying with the requirements.
- The regulations contained in the PCV Overlay District represent the design elements that the residents of Parrish find desirable, and wish to see with future commercial development.
- The intersection of US 301 and SR 62 is a critical intersection in the heart of the village.
- Staff has requested, and the applicant has agreed to stipulations that are generally consistent with the PCV Overlay regulations (i.e. buffers, setbacks, architectural standards, parking requirements, etc.).
- The Comprehensive Plan was amended in 2010 to allow consideration of community serving large commercial projects located at the intersection of an arterial and collector roadway in the UF-3 FLUC.
- Approximately 23.57 acres of the commercial portion of this project is located in the UF-3 FLUC.
- The approved PSP limited commercial uses to neighborhood serving retail uses. Given its location at the intersection of two arterial roadways, community serving commercial uses may be considered to be appropriate.
- Since this plan was approved in 2007, the YMCA has opened at the Parrish Schoolhouse at 12214 US 301 North and the Rocky Bluff Library is now operating in Ellenton at 6750 US 301 North, to serve the Ellenton and Parrish communities.
- The applicant submitted a request for modifications to the Preliminary Site Plan on September 19, 2012 to provide for some flexibility regarding use of non-residential buildings, and residential unit types and location.
- The PSP includes two development scenarios. The first scenario, Master Site Plan A, is essentially the same plan that was approved in 2007. The major difference is the 60,000 sq. ft. of building space that was originally considered for community service uses is now shown for commercial and office use. With the addition of this commercial floor area, the total non-residential floor area increases from 139,100 sq. ft. to 199,100 sq. ft. for the entire project.
- Master Site Plan B provides alternative options for development.
- The first is development of single family detached units (min. lot size is 45’ x 120’) in place of single family attached units in the neighborhood closest to SR 62.
- Building G is removed and residential units are located in its place.
- Lot sizes in the neighborhood closest to Spencer Parrish Road are reduced from 80’ x 120’ and 100’ x 120’ along the perimeter to a minimum lot size of 65’ x 120’.
- Commercial development for this project is located at the intersection of SR 62 and US 301, southward along the 301 corridor.
- A revised LDA is being reviewed by staff and the County Attorney’s Office. The changes are intended to ensure consistency between the revised PSP, the Development Order, and the LDA. The draft LDA language includes an extension of the PSP from May 24, 2014 to May 24, 2018.
- On May 9, 2013, by a vote of 7 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval.
- A summary of public comments heard at the May 9, 2013 Planning Commission are in the staff report attached to this memo.
- Since Planning Commission, staff has worked with the applicant to refine proposed stipulation A.4, which requires the access to Spencer Parrish Road be a full access. This revised language specifies limitations associated with the potential requirement for turn lanes into the project for residential development. Safety related improvements may be required if there is sufficient right of way and if warranted at time of residential development. Otherwise, they may be required with future traffic studies associated with commercial development. The applicant and staff agree with the proposed stipulation language.
- Staff recommends approval of this request, with stipulations.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Written Comments available from William Clague.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document to email@example.com
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - Parrish Plantation - PDMU-07-07(P)(R) - 6-6-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Maps - Future Land Use, Zoning and Aerial - Parrish Plantation - PDMU-07-07(P)(R) - 6-6-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Request for Specific Approval - PDMU-07-07(P)(R) - 6-6-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Supplemental Information - Previous Approval Document - Parrish Plantation - PDMU-07-07(Z)(P) - 6-6-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Parrish Plantation - PDMU-07-07(P)(R) - 6-6-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance - Parrish Plantation - PDMU-07-07(P)(R) - 6-6-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Site Plan - Parrish Plantation - PDMU-07-07(P)(R) - 6-6-13 BC.pdf