|REVISED June 16, 2015 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #51
FTA Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant and 5339 Bus & Bus Facilities Program
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William Steele, Transit Division Manager, William.Steele@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x7440
Chad Butzow, P.E., Deputy Director of Field Operations Services, Chad.Butzow@mymanatee.org (941) 708-7450 x7432
Adopt Resolution R-15-100 to authorize the submittal of application and acceptance of Federal Transit Administration (FTA) appropriation grant funds for approximately $3,802,319 (5307) and $415,755 (5339) to support Transit related capital and operating expenses. Local share for capital projects is requested to be provided by FDOT using Transportation Development Credits (previously known as Toll Revenue Credits) in the amount of $760,464 and $83,151 respectively.
Chapter 341, Florida Statutes, Rule 41-2, Florida Administrative Code, Federal Transit Administration Act of 1964, Comprehensive Plan 6.0 Mass Transit Element; MAP-21.
- The Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2014 extended FTA's contract (budget) authority to carry out its formula assistance programs only through May 31, 2015. The act pro-rated the amount of budget authority available for the period October 1, 2014, through May 31, 2015, based on an anticipated full FY 2015 appropriation total of $8.595 billion. As a result, FTA apportioned on 8/12th or $5.722 billion in contract authority at this time.
- The FY 2015 Section 5307 Urbanized Area apportionment for the Sarasota/Bradenton, FL UZA is $5,069,754 (Table 3, FTA Federal Register). Sarasota County and Manatee County split these funds equally per executed agreement. Based on the approved split, MCAT will receive $2,534,877 at this time. The remaining 4/12th will be applied for once appropriated.
- The FTA Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant Funds Program of Projects includes funding for preventive maintenance, planning, computer hardware & software, purchase/lease of miscellaneous support equipment, purchase/install passenger amenities, office furniture, computers, and office equipment items required to make the new Transit Fleet Facility building complete and useable for transit employees. Other grant items include security equipment, employee education/training, operating assistance funds, contingency funding, and project administration funding.
- This grant funding is listed in the State Transportation Improvement program (STIP) for FDOT, Item No. 4101481. MCAT will respectfully request FDOT Transportation Development Credits in the amount of $825,580 to be used for the 20% local match for this grant application. This amount represents the required local match for the capital portion of FTA grants * (1.25 x $3,302,319 = $4,127,899-$3,302,319=$825,580). The local match of $500,000 for operating assistance funds will be provided via the FY 2015/16 Transit Operating Budget.
- The FY 15 Section 5339 Urbanized Area Apportionment for the Sarasota/Bradenton UZA is $554,340 (Table 12, FTA Federal Register). Sarasota County and Manatee County splits these funds equally per executed agreement. Based on the approved split, MCAT will receive $277,170 at this time. The remaining 4/12th will be applied for once appropriated.
- The FTA Section 5339 Bus & Bus Facilities Formula Grant Program of Projects includes funding for purchase/installation of passenger amenities such as shelters, boarding pads, benches, trash receptacles, etc., and facility upkeep, rehabilitation, and repair to maximize useful life.
- The Section 5339 grant funding is listed in the STIP for FDOT, Item No. 4345172. MCAT will respectfully request FDOT Transportation Development Credits in the amount of *$207,878 to be used for the 20% local match for this grant application. (1.25 x$831,511=$1,039,389-$831,511=$207,878).
Staff recommends the following:
- Adoption of Resolution R-15-100.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (Utilizes exact document or procedure approved within the last 18 months)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please provide three (3) certified copies of Resolution R-15-100 and a copy of the approved agenda memo to Edrick Sweeting, Grants Administrator, Public Works Department, Transit Division, 941-708-7450 Ext 7354, Edrick.Sweeting@mymanatee.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
435-0012000 Transit Operating: $500,000; FY15 Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grant Funds $3,802,319; FY15 Section 5339 Bus & Bus Facilities Formula Grant $415,755.
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: FTA 5307 Resolution R-15-100.pdf