|REVISED January 9, 2018 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #38
Multi-way Stop Installation - 38th Avenue East at 39th Street East
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Vishal S. Kakkad, P.E., PTOE, Traffic Design Division Manager, Ext. 7812
Authorization to install a multi-way stop on 38th Avenue East and 39th Street East.
Florida State Statutes: Chapter 316.006 - Jurisdiction to Control Traffic; Chapter 316.008(1)(f) - Powers of Local Authorities
- A request was received to install a multi-way stop at the intersection of 38th Avenue East and 39th Street East.
- State Law requires the installation of all traffic control devices, including STOP signs, to meet State standards adopted by the Florida Department of Transportation. The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) published by the U.S. Department of Transportation is the national standard for traffic control devices and has been adopted by the State and also the County's Land Development Code (LDC).
- In accordance with MUTCD standards, a traffic investigation and multi-way stop study was conducted. While the results of the study indicated the traffic volumes and crash history did not meet MUTCD criteria for a multi-way stop, the ability to see conflicting traffic on an approach is not sufficient to allow a road user to stop or yield in compliance with the normal right-of-way rule if such stopping or yielding is necessary. Furthermore, the intersection geometry and alignment is offset which requires drivers to use lower operating speeds and to drive with caution. Due to these reasons, and expected traffic in the area, a multi-way stop can accommodate the additional traffic control needed at this intersection.
- Staff recommends the installation of a multi-way stop at this location.
- The cost to install traffic signs for this multi-way stop would be approximately $600. The cost to install pavement markings would be approximately $500. The total cost would be approximately $1100.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please send a stamped copy of the agenda memorandum to Jeff Bishop (email@example.com), Public Works Department, Traffic Design Division, Ext. 7815.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$1100, 1010020707, Traffic Operations, Traffic Control Device Installation
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
$137/yr. - Maintenance & Repairs
Attachment: Location Map.pdf