|REVISED January 3, 2013 Land Use Meeting|
Agenda Item #5
Ordinance 13-03 - fka 12-05 - Billboards Land Development Code Amendment - Robert Schmitt - Legislative
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Robert Schmitt, AICP
Planning Division Manager
941-748-4501 ext. 6836
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Ordinance 12-05, amending the Manatee County Land Development Code (Ordinance 90-01, as amended), as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Electronic Billboard Signs
- Section 724.18 of the Manatee County Land Development Code currently prohibits new Off-Site Advertising Signs along most of the thoroughfare roads, including the interstate corridor, in Manatee County.
- Several projects along the interstate corridor have approved Master Sign Plans. These plans all have approval of electronic message center signs. They include the Cooper Creek, River Club Park of Commerce, Heritage Harbor, and Ellenton Ice. Most of the message center signs approved as part of those Master Sign Plans have a limitation of 400 square feet in size, with the exception of Ellenton Ice which has approval of an 880 square foot message center sign. All of these message center signs were approved for On-Site advertising only.
- This proposed amendment to the sign ordinance is accompanied by an application to amend the approved Ellenton Ice Master Sign Plan.
- Section 724.18.1 is proposed to be added to the sign ordinance to provide an exclusion of certain requirements of the Off-Site Advertising provisions.
- The proposed revision to the sign ordinance has exchange rate limitations, locational and dimensional standards, lighting control and mitigation measures, and operational standards designed to limit the proliferation of electronic billboards.
- As proposed, the establishment of any electronic billboard sign will require approval of a Preliminary Site Plan by the Board of County Commissioners at an advertised public hearing.
- This proposed amendment is consistent with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan.
- The proposed revision to section 724.18 of the LDC is consistent with the Comprehensive Plan. Particularly by implementing the Policies and Objectives of Goal 2.2 of the Future Land Use Element which states:
- A pattern of future land uses providing adequate recognition of existing development and providing adequate guidance to all parties for the potential location, general types, and general range of densities and intensities which may be considered for new development or redevelopment.
- Staff recommends approval on the proposed changes.
- On May 10, 2012, by a vote of 7 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval.
- On December 18, 2012, the Board of County Commissioners held the first of two required public hearings; no action was necessary at that hearing.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Written Comments available from Sarah Schenk.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document to Bobbi Roy / Building and Development Services Department.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Ordinance 13-02 fka 12-05 for 01-03-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Exhibit A- Definitions - Billboards for 01-03-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Exhibit B - Section 724 List of Sections - Billboardsfor 01-03-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Exhibit B - Section 724 Signs - Billboards for 01-03-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Exhibit C - Amendment to Section 603.4 - Billboards for 01-03-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Exhibit D - Amendment to Section 737 - Billboards for 01-03-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Exhibit E - Amendment to Section 720 - Billboards for 01-03-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising for 01-03-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Slideshow - Planner - Ord. 13-02 - 01-03-13 BC.pdf