|REVISED January 11, 2018 Land Use Meeting|
Agenda Item #9
9:30 AM Time Certain - SSP-17-02 Resolution 18-003 East County Middle School/School Site Plan 20170502, Quasi-Judicial, Nicole Knapp, Planning Section Manager
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Nicole Knapp, Planning Section Manager, 941-748-4501 ext. 6836
Bobbi Roy, Senior Zoning & Planning Tech/Planning Coordinator
941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Resolution No. 18-003 (SSP-17-02); APPROVAL of a Determination of Consistency for a School Site Plan to consist of an 124,331 square foot Educational Facility in the form of a Middle School campus with Conditions of Approval/Stipulations A.1–A.3, B.1-B.3, C.1–C.-4, D.1-D.2, E.1-E.4, as recommended by staff.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
- Dean Paquet, P.E., Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc., on behalf of the School District of Manatee County, is requesting approval of a Determination of Consistency for a School Site Plan (SSP) per LDC Section 352 and Florida Statute 1013.33(6).
- On November 3, 2005, the Board of County Commissioners found the site to be consistent with the land use category and policies of the County’s Comprehensive Plan, as required pursuant to Florida Statute 1013.33(5) and as such, approved the School Site Plan Determination of Consistency with the Comprehensive Plan.
- The preliminary notice in November 2005 did not constitute the County’s final Determination of Consistency with the Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code. Pursuant to Florida Statute 1013.33 and LDC Section 352.3.A, once the School District submits a complete application, a Determination of Consistency for the site shall be governed by Section 352 of the County’s LDC, as well as shall be consistent with Section 9.2.C of the Amended and Restated Interlocal Agreement.
- Pursuant to Florida Statute 1013.33 and the Amended and Restated Interlocal Agreement for Public School Facility Planning, the School District shall provide Manatee County a School Site Plan (SSP) for review and approval. Manatee County shall review the site plan for consistency with the Comprehensive Plan regarding impacts on natural resources, surrounding land uses, and public facilities. Per Manatee County Land Development Code (LDC) Section 352.3.C., A request for determination of consistency for a public school facility shall be decided by the Board.
- The School Site Plan includes a 124,331 square foot/1,048 student capacity Educational Facility in the form of a middle school campus, in addition to low intensity recreational uses as accessory uses commonly associated with a middle school.
- The development site consists of ±20.5 acres, which is part of the overall 51.137 acre parcel that currently includes B.G. Gullett Elementary School. The project area is located on the north side of 44th Avenue East, approximately 800 feet west of White Eagle Boulevard, ¾ of a mile east of Lakewood Ranch Boulevard, and immediately east of B.D. Gullett Elementary School, Bradenton. The site is also located between multiple existing thoroughfares: south of SR 64, north of SR 70, east of Lakewood Ranch Boulevard, and west of White Eagle Boulevard.
- The site is located within the IL (Industrial Light) Future Land Use Category (FLUC), is zoned A (General Agriculture) Zoning District, and is not located within any Overlay District. The A zoning district permits the development of a middle school as a permitted use. Per LDC Section 352.3.C., a Determination of Consistency is the sole method by which the County may grant such special approval.
- The applicant is proposing a two-story development not to exceed 35 feet in height. A maximum building height of 35 feet is permissible in the A zoning district.
- The school site has frontage on 44th Avenue East and per the applicant’s TIA and SSP, the school will have vehicular access via two existing median cuts on 44th Avenue East; one full median opening for vehicular access and one directional median opening for bus access. The bus driveway will be shared with the existing elementary school located directly to the west. 44th Avenue East is designated as a four-lane arterial in the Comprehensive Plan’s Future Traffic Circulation Plan and has a planned right of way width of 120 feet.
- A public sidewalk exists along the entire frontage of the subject site along 44th Avenue East. Additionally, a 6-foot-wide sidewalk is proposed from the east side of the school building towards and along the east property line, traveling north to the north property line.
- Staff recommends Approval of the School Site Plan with Conditions of Approval in the form of Stipulations.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email to Matter 2017-0615 on December 8, 2017.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the Resolution 18-003 to email@example.com.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report East County MS .pdf
Attachment: 2 - Staff Report Maps.pdf
Attachment: 3 - Schools Sites Map.pdf
Attachment: 4 - School Site Plan (SSP).pdf
Attachment: 5 - Landscape Plan.pdf
Attachment: 6 - Pedestrian Plan.pdf
Attachment: 7 - Lighting Compliance letter.pdf
Attachment: 8 - TIA and Traffic Impact Analysis Acceptance Letter.pdf
Attachment: 9 - Consistency Review.pdf
Attachment: 10 - ILA - Amended & Restated 2010.pdf
Attachment: 11 - Affidavit of Ownership.pdf
Attachment: 12- Newspaper Advertising - 1-11-18BCC.pdf
Attachment: 13 - Resolution - East County MIddle School - R-18-003 - SSP-17-02.pdf