|REVISED February 6, 2014 Land Use Meeting|
Agenda Item #3
PDPI-07-28(P)(R) - State of Florida FDOT District 1 Manatee Operations Center - DTS20130461 - Quasi-Judicial - Susan Angersoll
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Development Review Specialist
941-748-4501 ext. 6850
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDPI-07-28(P)(R); amending and restating PDPI-07-28(Z)(P) with Stipulations A.1, B.1, C.1-C.5, D.1-D.2, E.1-E.5 and F.1, as recommended by staff.
Manatee County Land Development Code
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
• December 2008 – A Comprehensive Small Scale Plan Amendment was approved by the Board of County Commissioners to change the Future Land Use Category (FLUC) from UF-3 (Urban Fringe, 3 dwelling units per acre) to P/SP-1 (Public/Semi-Public) with a declared use of a Florida Department of Transportation Facility for road maintenance, fleet services, fueling, communications tower, warehouse, and material storage on 9.98± acres. The purpose of the P/SP-1 FLUC is to recognize major existing and programmed public/quasi-public facilities, primarily those facilities associated with public or private utilities.
• March 2009 – A Rezone from A (General Agricultural) to the PDPI (Planned Development Public Interest) zoning district and a Preliminary Site Plan (PSP) was approved for a 59,311 sq. ft. FDOT office, maintenance facility, storage, fueling, and motor pool on 18.44± acres. The Preliminary Site Plan is scheduled to expire on March 5, 2014.
• The applicant is requesting an extension to the expiration date of their PSP for a period of two (2) years. Section 508.8.2 of the Manatee County Land Development Code allows the Board of County Commissioners to extend a PSP for up to two (2) years. Approval of this extension would extend the expiration date of the PSP to March 5, 2016.
• The project is located at 13900 SR 64 East, Bradenton on 18.44± Acres. FDOT owns roughly 40 acres in this location, but only 18+ acres are included in this Preliminary Site Plan.
• An extension to the Certificate of Level of Service (CLOS) has also been requested through a separate application and is being processed concurrently with this request. An extension approval for the PSP would be contingent upon the approval of the extension request for the CLOS. The expiration date for the PSP may not exceed the expiration date of the CLOS.
• No other changes are being approved with this request. All conditions of the previous approval will remain in effect.
• The State of Florida has owned this property for a number of years and used it for their temporary storage site for equipment and materials for road maintenance. FDOT must move their existing operations and maintenance center from Sarasota and chose this site in part because the land has been owned by the State for a number of years.
• Manatee County, like much of the state and nation, has experienced a significant slowdown in development. According to the applicant, lack of funding and the economic recession were the major reasons for halting the progress of this project after the rezoning and PSP approval. Now that funding is available, FDOT desires to continue the project design and construction. The applicant anticipates that Final Site Plan and Building Permit submittals will be made around October 2014.
Staff recommends approval of this request.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email on January 10, 2014.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document to email@example.com
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Maps - Future Land Use, Zoning and Aerial - PDPI-07-28(P)(R) - FDOT Manatee Operations Center - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Applicant Request Letter - PDPI-07-28(P)(R) - FDOT Manatee Operations Center - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance - PDPI-07-28(P)(R) - FDOT Manatee Operations Center - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Previously Approved Zoning Ordinance - PDPI-07-28(P)(R) - FDOT Manatee Operations Center - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: 2009 Staff Report - PDPI-07-28(P)(R) - FDOT Manatee Operations Center - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Previously Approved Preliminary Site Plan - PDPI-07-28(P)(R) - FDOT Manatee Operations Center - 2-6-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - PDPI-07-28(P)(R) - FDOT Manatee Operations Center - 2-6-14 BC.pdf