|Manatee County Government Administrative Building First Floor, Chambers February 2, 2017 - 9:00 a.m.|
Agenda Item #3
Z-16-06 - Enneking Rezone - DTS20160288 - Quasi-Judicial - Branden Roe, Planner
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Branden Roe, Planner, 941-748-4501 ext. 6863
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
No Action Necessary
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• Robert Schmitt, AICP, Land Planning Associates, Inc., agent for the owner, is requesting approval of a straight rezone from A-1 (Suburban Agriculture) to HM (Heavy Manufacturing) for a ±12.71 acre property located generally on the east side of Bayshore Road, north of 77th Avenue East, and south of I-275 in Palmetto (Manatee County).
• The project is located in a geographic area known as an Entranceway, and has an existing Future Land Use Category (FLUC) of IH (Industrial-Heavy).
• The proposed HM zoning district is more consistent with the underlying IH Future Land Use Category. No new residential uses are permitted in industrial future land uses, so the development of the site will be restricted to non-residential uses.
• Both the IH Future Land Use Category and the HM zoning district limit non-residential development intensities to a Floor Area Ratio of 0.50. The HM zoning district does not limit building size; however, the zoning district does establish a maximum building height of 55 feet.
• The requested HM zoning is consistent with existing development in the immediate area and is a logical expansion of an existing HM zoning on an adjacent property.
• This is a straight rezone request, there are no Special or Specific Approvals, and there are no Staff Stipulations.
• On December 8, 2016, by a vote of 5 – 2, the Planning Commission recommended approval. Mr. Bower voted nay stating it is irresponsible to change zoning not knowing the specific uses going on the property and the effect on the surrounding residents. Mr. Horrigan voted nay stating HM (Heavy Manufacturing) is not the only alternative for this property. There are other options within the IH (Industrial Heavy) Future Land Use Category. Straight rezoning is the easy way; a lot can happen with it. He would like to see more specific details on use for the property.
• On January 5, 2017, by a vote of 7-0, the Board of County Commissioners continued the public hearing to February 2, 2017, stating concerns, which mirrored those of the Planning Commission, particularly in regard to the lack of assurances of uses that could be developed on the site. The Board directed the Applicant and Staff to coordinate and provide alternatives to the requested HM zoning district and the unknown impacts that potential uses could have on the surrounding existing residential.
• At this time, the Applicant has provided the Board of County Commissioners with an update regarding the request and announced that the application was being revised to request approval of a rezone to Planned Development Industrial with an associated General Development Plan (GDP). The previous request to rezone to HM will ultimately be replaced with the request to rezone to PDI with an associated GDP, which requires returning to Planning Commission before the Board of County Commissioners can act on the request.
• No action is necessary.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by emails to Matter 2016-0813 on November 9 and December 22, 2016.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report -- Enneking Rezone - Z-16-06.pdf
Attachment: Attachment 2- Staff Report Maps.pdf
Attachment: Letter from Applicant for 2-2-2016.pdf